What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Is Chicago Delayed in Canada? (1 Viewer)

Miles

Second Unit
Is Chicago Delayed in Canada or in the U.S.? My wife was unable to find it in Halifax this morning and Future Shop is showing out of stock.

Thanks,

Miles

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Possibly unrelated to Canada, but the Best Buy in my area did not have Chicago, nor did they have the new Vacation release. They said something about not getting in any of their new releases at 15 stores in the area. Maybe it was a shipping problem linked to last week's outage?

In any case, they did at least have Memoirs Of An Invisible Man, which is what I went in for (got Vacation early last week).

Miles

Second Unit
I guess this would make sense.... It's likely Futureshop distributes it's stock from Toronto which was a city affected by the power problems.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Chicago is in stores in Toronto so your explanation is likely correct.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
My local Wal-Mart and Best Buy both got it in (BB only got 10 copies on fullscreen, but hundreds of copies in widescreen! Yay! :D ).

Miles

Second Unit
Crap... I guess it just didn't make it to the East coast. I think this is the first DVD my wife is actually waiting for. My, how the tables have turned!

BTW Is the Alliance version any different that the Miramax version? I noticed CNL has DTS listed on the Miramax but not the Alliance...

John Watson

Screenwriter
Future Shop in Halifax doesn't have great stock anyway, tho new issue prices may be favorable.

There was a big poster at the entrance, but no Chicago on the shelves, last week.

I don't think they had Soylent Green on time either, I only found it last week.

On disks that are "older", I often find Music World has lower prices than FS, which is a tad surprising.

Miles

Second Unit
I did end up finding it in Halifax... nothing at Future Shop, nothing at Bayer Lake Walmart, but Halifax Shopping Center Walmart did have copies...

And, It appears the Canuck version does have the DTS track.

Jamie_R

Auditioning
I am on the east coast and saw 'Chicago' at WalMart tonight. I could not find 'The Good Thief' however. I stopped by a video rental store to see if they received a copy and was told that it was delayed. Anyone have any details?

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Interestingly, tho typical of Alliance, The fullscreen release says on te back that the ratio is 4:3, yet enchanced for 16x9 televisions!?

My dad accidently picked up the fullscreen version, because of that little line. How he missed the 'full screen' title on the front? ... well, I just don't know.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Plenty of NatLamp Vacations at the local BB too.

I notice either BB or FS out here very often don't have something new on release day. One of them always has it, and since it all comes from the same local warehouse, maybe they take turns. It is BB policy to build BB's very close to FS's, so it kinda makes sense to split the business on stuff on release days. Oddly though, FS always has the gimmick freebies on new releases, BB almost never does, or else they're really lame. Also oddly, since the stores are close together, FS always has the lower price if they differ. I say "oddly" since BB is the parent company and eventually FS will probably "disappear". One thing I must say though, FS has become much more competitively priced for discs since BB took them over.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
At Target today, I was surprised and delighted to see a "Chicago" display that had been roughly half widescreen/half full frame to be COMPLETELY EMPTY OF WIDESCREEN DISCS, with lots of full frame ones left. At TARGET! Very encouraging.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Tom: where've you been? Not taking a vacation I hope? :)

Your Das Experiment thread: I put a Q for you in there maybe a couple weeks ago, when I finally received it.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
nevermind about the insert. I think the US one has it too.

Craig, you did? I guess I missed it... =P And no, I wish I was on a vacation but I was studying for my MCAT... :frowning:

Renus

Auditioning
I could not find 'The Good Thief' however. I stopped by a video rental store to see if they received a copy and was told that it was delayed. Anyone have any details?
My local blockbuster said they didn't receive it and didn't know when they were getting it. I just assumed next week. I can't find any info on why it was delayed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.