What's new

is anyone else really affected by onions? (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
sort of a mixed success with the chopper, it's so small you need to 1/8th the onion to get it in there... Not nearly as bad as chopping though.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

Me too. It really works! I have no idea HOW it works, but as long as I'm chewing gum while cutting, my eyes are fine.
/Mike

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
It would appear some are more sensitive than others? I can usually chop (i.e. completely dice up) half an onion, sometimes the whole, before I start tearing up. Certainly just peeling and quartering the thing doesn't cause any effects. Perhaps because I wear glasses?

However, once I start crying, I can't stop, even if I step away and take a short break. I guess tears already in the eyes make it easier for the fumes to get in and irritate the eyes further? In which case, I guess those who are "resistant" to it probably have dryer eyes to begin with, while the "sensitives" probably have moist eyes?

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
not sure, I used to be completely unaffected, but now it seems every year it's a little worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks