What's new

is anyone else really affected by onions? (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Every year it gets worse and worse, now it's to the point that I can hardly chop an onion because it burns my eyes so bad.
It used to not bother me at all, now it's just rediculous :frowning:

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I don't know if it would help you but working in a professional kitchen for the past twelve years I've learned a few things - one thing I've learned is, after peeling the onions refrigerate them. When you chop them the crying effect should be lessened.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Try chewing gum while your chopping them Phil. My wife swears by it. I always forget to try it until it's too late and Im wiping the tears away on the sleeve of my shirt. Onions = Love/Hate relationship. I love em in my food, but hate the burning eyes, bad breath and heartburn.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I heard recently that having a lit candle next to the area where you are chopping is helpful. I haven't tried it myself. I will report back the next time I chop onions.

Kevin_Spradley

Stunt Coordinator
chop it under water. I am not sure if this applies to chopping it under a pool of water or under running water.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I've heard about the water thing too, just don't see how it's possible.

what's really weird is why it's getting worse.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Maybe just avoid onions if it's that bad. Or if you have a roommate / spouse, try to get them to chop for you.

You can buy dried onions, which sort of reconstitute when water is added. For mixing in food, those can work, but it depends what you use them in.

What about wearing goggles or the like so the vapors don't hit your eyes?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
remeber it's the "fumes" from the onions that will burn your eyes. so..

1. chop in/under water. the water keeps the fumes from rising.

2. chop the onion with the wide flat part (the middle) face-down on the cutting board. the fumes are "trapped" by the onion itself.

3. although i've never heard of freezing it, it does seem to make sense. the fumes would be in a solid state (instead of gaseous).

onions are yummy!

Jason GT

Second Unit
Re: cutting them under running water -

The component that causes tears (contains sulfur IIRC) is water-soluble. Cutting them under running water or rinsing them periodically helps wash that component away.

I find that refrigerating peeled, halved onions is sometimes useful:
- it reduces tearing (as noted already)
- it definitely takes the edge off of them, making it MUCH easier to slice 'em thin and stick 'em in a sandwich.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
You can also buy chopped/diced onions in the frozen food section.

Put them in a resealable freezer bag and toss a handful in the pan whenever you need some.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I guess I should just break down and buy a cheap chopper, that's probably the easy answer.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Philip, the one I linked to, obviously, is the "expensive" version. It's the one I have and it works fine. However, I've seen them at Target for less than half that price. I have no idea if the quality suffers, but I imagine it still chops onions just fine.

Sam A

Stunt Coordinator
i never tear up and i cut onions all the time. only once in a blue mmon does it affect me. does it depend on how you cut them?

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

Why didn't I think of that sooner??

Walmart has a little black 'n decker electric chopper for a whole $10.
Why did I live without one? I was making stew last week and think I spent an hour chopping crap. Definitely worth $10 :emoji_thumbsup:

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
My mom would peel it then soak it in water in the fridge...worked for her.
Me, I just put on my safety glasses from work for the first few cuts, then I run the halved or quartered sections under some water, works every time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks