What's new

Is and upgrade from a standard analog to an analog FS worth it? (1 Viewer)

SeanDM

Agent
I currently have a Toshiba 27" standard (very curved screen) analog TV that I bought about 5 or 6 years ago. It was the only affordable 27" at the time that had component inputs.

It has been a great TV, but I recently spent a few bucks on an HT sound system (AV receiver, 5 Dahlquist speakers). Of course now, the TV seems a little inadequate. I took a look at a few digital 16:9 TV's, but I'm not ready to spend $2000 on technology that seems to be in flux. I recently came across a great deal on the Toshiba 27AF42, flat screen 4:3 analog TV. They have it at BB on sale with a $100 rebate, so the final price is about $350.

It's a family TV, the kids watch digial cable, I mostly watch DVD's on the weekends. The question is, is the move to a flat screen worth it? The size is the same, but the picture quality is superior (at least in my estimation). It's not a ton of money and it may tide me over until the whole HDTV thing gets a little more stabilized.

Any opinions?

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Honestly, Sean, if your old TV still works, I'd find it hard to justify spending $350 for another set that's only marginally better. If your current TV seems "a little inadequate," another 27" analog TV isn't going to be much better.

You need screen real estate to bring your monitor in line with your audio. If you're not ready to buy HDTV yet, I'd just sit back and wait awhile and spend that $350 on something else, or not at all.

IMHO.

Jan

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Sean,

I now have the 27AF42 courtesy of the Best Buy online deal but it replaced a faulty '90 GE 27" which had given up the ghost. In your case, I might agree with Jan. If there is no other compelling reason other than it's a good FS set at a great price...you might want to stand pat. In my case this set is earmarked for the bedroom after a few years of main room service. There it will replace a current 20". You might be able to justify the purchase if other similar considerations are in play.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks