What's new

is AHL slowing down? (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Or is it just me? I seem to remember the first page always being full with posts from the last day, the past few months it's been slim pickins.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Posting activity on the entire board is up where it has always been. Remember, there have been some pretty high-profile DVD releases of late, including a certain trilogy that's popular here. So, most people are posting elsewhere on the boards.

Same with me. There are days that go by when I don't even bother to look at AHL, leaving it in the hands of the three mods who have to look at this area. Just no interest on my part. (But I'm starting a new thread here about my buddy Dave's evolution into a home theater nut -- he has bought a Denon receiver and Energy speakes that I recommended.)

There have been, in the past, people who've only posted in AHL (something we frown on), but they seem to have moved on.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, Philip, why did you sign up at Home Theater Forum if you were not interested in discussing home theater, the equipment associated with it, DVD/LaserDisc/D-VHS, and, of course, films and music? The AHL is just a service for the membership, almost set up as an afterthought long ago. It's not the reason this community exists.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

the word lost indicates that I had interest at one time.. I can only read so many "which kit is best for me" threads befor emy head explodes

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

Don't do that! it'll just make you want to buy something ;)

I bought a new TV this spring, and a new DVD player, and I DIDN'T EVEN CONSULT THE HTF FIRST!

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I posted my usual questions in the other forums when I put together my HT, but unlike some here, my HT is not my main passion in life. But I did stumble upon AHL... When/if I ever decide to replace something, I may wander into other forums but until then, I am not an expert in the equipment or software so not much can I provide anyway.

Somewhere in the world, it is "After Hours" :D

Jay

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
That's OK, Jack is traveling down memory lane in Music.....something about odd chemical effects on perception. Or maybe it's just how cache coherency protocols work in flesh multiprocessors.

I think most people's mental status is currently shaken (not stirred) by the overwelming amount of election coverage. And they aren't going to discuss it here.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Note to self: Go post something about Denon in "Receivers/Amps" and something about Energy in "Speakers/Subs"....

;)

(should be easy, that's what this forum talked me into... much to Holadem's dismay)

Antonio_B

Stunt Coordinator
Well in fact,since someone brought up the subject i gotta say that not only the "After Hours Lounge" had slo down,but i noticed that the whole HTF is running short of threads.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
OK, I posted in A/V Sources, so I'm golden for today. :)

Seeing as how I'm here, I'll give y'all a recap of my HT functions lately:

1- I got a new cartridge for my turntable: a Shure M-97XE (to replace a very old M-91ED). It sounds great, a humongous improvement, and it's on sale right now @ Amazon. It sounded so good that I listened to LPs all weekend, instead of doing yardwork. OK, I did polish my jump boots at the same time, so I'm not too much of a slug.

2- my Yamaha EQ-630 came back (actually I had to go and pick it up) from the repair shop for the 4th time and I hooked it back up. My little legsies ache from crouching down behind the equipment rack a hundred times trying to get it hooked up properly. I love how the LEDS dance in time with the music, but if it craps outs one more time, it's going in the @##$ing trash.

3- My Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD player is getting cranky on changing disc sides. It's going to have to wait until I get some more money.

4- The bedroom system is finally finished: TV, receiver, LD player, DVD player, and VCR, all in one equipment rack. 5 speakers plus a small sub built into the equipment rack. Ahh, nothing like laying there on the bed watching HT; the big problem is getting around all of the stuff to get TO the bed.

5- the weight room system sounds great now that I moved the DVL-90 DVD/LD player in there. While the CD playback can be a little harsh, the Dolby Digital 2-channel mixdown sounds awesome going through my ancient but still luscious Sansui 8080DB. Put on some Steely Dan, crank her up, and I can almost forget the pain. Hit it!

What have YOU been doing?

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
dealing with home warranty people.

I get the plesure of working 5pm to 7.30am tonight, so ALL fucking day all I've wanted was a nap. Every time I doze off either the phone rings, or he dogs have to P.

It was supposed to be easy, grout guy patches grout, carpet guy pulls back carpet, framer fixes floor squeek, done.
nooo. the subfloor under the tile is jacked causing the cracking, so like 3 other people had to come verify that fact today.

then over the weekend I broke down and sold my saltwater fish tank, today a guy is coming to get some misc pumps and crap. Man does that sand stink.

speaking of repair, my elite 35tx receiver, the volume knob is erratic, suppose that would be expensive to have repaired?

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
Well, this weekend I stumbled upon why my 1994 Sable keeps stalling (kids car). While poking around under the hood, I discovered a vacuum line with a large hole in it. 3 feet of new vacuum line, $2.33. A 1994 Sable that purrs like a kitten...priceless

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
funny. My old audi winter beater was making a LOUD squeelfrom the rear of the engine, I thought for sure the pilot bearing was going out, turns out it was just the rear main seal leaking, a little vacuum line reroute and it's quiet as can be.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I must confess that I come to AHL first, these days. There are only so many "Digital Wire Wars" I can participate in before I realize the futility of my quest to educate the elite masses. (If you want to know what side I was on, here's a hint: I'm a software engineer with digital design experience. ;)) But the events of 9-11 have made me reconsider a few things, my HT is done (really!), and my contributions pale in comparison to others who really know their stuff and kindly take the time to share their expertise. So I pop in to Software, Movies, and Television instead of hardware, and when someone posts a juicy, irresistable straight line regarding the Star Trek franchise, I always make it a point to post a reply, hoping to make Jack spew milk out of his nose.

Still, I'd like to think that my membership here is well-established: I'm an old member; I was the first to build a flexy sonosub (and document it for the community); I offered the community a remote control program for the Adicon Ocelot; I did participate in the digital wire wars with a vengeance; and my Earl the Repairman web site - with anamorphic viewing goggles - was created just for this community (and for Mike in particular) as an April Fool's surprise.

Since then, I've been riding on my laurels, wondering when I would begin to strain the patience of the HTF masters. I must say, the hosts and moderators have been very gracious, indeed. In return, I've tried to be on my best behavior as a guest here, avoiding starting frivolous threads (unless they're about zombies) and sticking to the rules when I post. Still, I feel that my Karma here is running low, and that I should do something soon to contribute. I just (finally!) got around to watching the Titanic DVD. Perhaps I'll mosey over to the software section and offer a review...

Diallo B

Screenwriter
i've been lurking around here for about 5 years now and i think i joined maybe 2 or 3 years ago. i am sure i found out about this place from dvdresource.com

there used to be a time when my day was not complete until i read almost every thread in the amp/receiver/pre-pro section and the speaker section. but as with many of the people here i am now happy with my above average system and subsequently i have had my fill of which receiver should i get? which one is better? sony is crap! buy the rockets! you must have the silver serpents! and so on and so forth.

it is funny that i am posting this here as i rarely come to the AHL. most of my time is spent int the computer/htpc, tv, movies, and both dvd forums. but as someone stated it has been slow around here so i mosied on over here.

i think that at some point we all have our fill and start to looking for additional interests. i frequent a couple of other forums as well, but this is by far the most mature and is definitely well moderated. (expcept for some crazy star wars thread a few of you may have heard about):)

and there is some other crazy thread about silica that seems to surface every now and again......... that one bothers me:)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Anybody want to hear the story of my friend Dave, and how I get to install and connect his system this Saturday? Should there be another Dave thread? Will it help boost AHL's Neilsen ratings? Or will it just tank.

I told him what to get and he got it last Saturday -- and he wanted me to drop everything and string the components together right then and there. Denon AVR-1705, Energy Take 5.2, Energy eight-inch woofer. And I'm seriously wondering if Dave will be disciplined enough to learn how to operate a modern A/V receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks