What's new

Is a speaker near a radiator harmful? (1 Viewer)

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
I'm thinking about moving my speakers, but if I do this one will be fairly close to the radiator in the room. Although this will have no effect right now, will it be a problem when the cold weather comes and the radiator heats up?

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Essentially a radiator is the same thing as a speaker, just without the magnets. j/k

The heat probably won't do anything unless the driver is really close to the heat source. But then again, if the surrounds are rubber like some car audio drivers they might be able to endure some pretty hot temperatures.

Drivers can get very hot by themselves, I've seen instances of burnt polyester filling in speakers that was touching the back of very hot drivers.

I don't know what the situation so it is only my assumption that the speakers will be fine.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the quick response Chris. The more I think about it, the more secure I feel. For some reason my initial thought was that the radiator would somehow melt something, but there isn't anything meltable (?)with such a low temperature. Plus I also remembered that I rarely use that radiator, so it shouldn't be a big concern anyway.

If anyone has anything bad to say though, please let me know. Although I haven't moved it yet, the speaker would probably be about 18'' from the radiator.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks