What's new

Is 2MB of Memory enough for the Pronto TSU2000? (1 Viewer)

David Flora

Stunt Coordinator
I am in need of a good universal remote. I have a lot of components that I would need to program (Onkyo TX-DS989, Directv, HDTV, cd, dvd, ld, etc. I'd love to be able to spend $500 and get the ProntoPro, but I doubt I'd get that idea past the wife. I was just wondering if the 2000's memory is sufficient, especially if you wanted to download bitmaps of channels to use for directv and things like that, or would it be better to upgrade to the ProntoPro's color screen and more memory? If anyone has any specific complaints about the 2000 I would love to hear them before I buy one. Thanks!

Jim Lenneman

Stunt Coordinator
2 MB is much more than enough. On my 1st Pronto (1MB) I had a full load of gear similar to yours. I had room for 150+ station logos, a calander, equipment list, a picture of the grandkids, and more. Because of firmware taking up a large % of the memory, the 2000 actually has about 3 times the USEABLE memory of my old 1000. If you purchase, be sure to visit remotecentral.com's Pronto forum for the inevitable questions, and the files area for IR codes and graphics.

Jim L

Jon G.

Stunt Coordinator
Main complaints I've heard against the Pronto are that the screens are a little slow to scroll between, it's awkward pushing small buttons on a small screen, you have to look at the screen each time you want to push a button and programming the sucker is hard because you have to design your layout, buttons, etc.
I personally have the Home Theater Master MX-700. It is computer programmable, has hard buttons and can control over 20 brands. You can check them out/buy them at:
http://www.bluedo.com/bluedocgi/prod...odel=MX-700PKG
or
http://www.surfremotecontrol.com/Mer...ory_Code=HTMCL
There's also the MX-500, which sells for about $150. It's not programmable (there is a hack to get it to interface w/ a computer but I believe you have to take it apart), and can only control about 10 devices.
The software for the Pronto, while complex, is incredibly thorough, and the Pronto is definitely worth considering. I actually bought both and kept the MX-700 because I like to just feel my remote, I didn't like having to look down at the pronto and using my fingernails to touch buttons (the buttons have to be small if you want have more than 8 on one screen).
I'd recommend you spend some time at www.remotecentral.com. They have a great forum, and you can download the software for each remote (the software includes remote emulators), so you can get a feel for both remotes.
Oh, and as a bonus, URC (the company that makes the mx-700) is awesome. I recently broke my remote by taking it apart (not smart), and they graciously fixed it for me for free!

Jim Lenneman

Stunt Coordinator
Jon makes some good points, it's wise to read-up before you buy.

In addition to two Prontos, I also own an Mx-500, it is programmable, just not on a computer.

I will take issue with one comment on the Pronto. If you only put 8 buttons on a screen, they would each be a lot larger than any buttons on an Mx 500/700. Taking the dimensions of Pronto's usable screen vs Mx 700 dimensions (given the large number of buttons) will confirm this. I have screens with a lot more than 8 and it works fine.

In short, it boils down to price and if you like touchscreens or hardbuttons. The Pronto and the 700 are about the best of each type.

Jim L

GordonL

Supporting Actor
Wait for the new Pronto TSU-3000. More memory, more hard buttons, 16 shades of gray instead of 4, all for the same price (MSRP) as the TSU-2000. Look for the price of the TSU-2000 to drop.

Leif Wall

Second Unit
I'm going with the Pro myself. I was going to get a tsu2000, but there's one thing I don't like about the type of screen it has. I have the same deal with my current Sony av2100. That damn humming/whining it makes. It drives me insane.

The Pro does not do that. Thank god.

Christopher Lyn

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't worry about the memory problem. I have the TS1000 (1mb). I have my t.v., vcr, dvd, Lexicon MC-1, DirecTV, 150+ DirecTV logos, cd player, a dozen macros, and personal pages I created, with over 40% memory left over.

As to the the Prontos scrolling screen, it's not that slow maybe .5 sec to scroll; however, one can create buttons to take you directly to a page.

Yes, you have to look at the screen for some controls; however, there are hard buttons for the channel scroll, volume, mute, and 2 other programmable hard buttons for you to use. I have never felt bothersome by looking down for a second and touch the Pronto screen for a button. All the "virtual" buttons I created are as large or larger than most Sony remotes.

The only drawback that I agree with most people is that one needs a computer to customize the Pronto easily. However, it's really not that hard with the software. It's actually pretty easy. The fact that the Pronto is so customizable that one can create any style layout, put graphics etc. makes it appealing.

However, you should pick a remote you feel comfortable with and that can learn all the commands of your other remotes.

I love my Pronto, especially the strength of it's IR signal. I can change the channel with the remote behind the couch pointing away from the television...but why would anyone want to do that :b

David Werner

Stunt Coordinator
GordonL- Do you have any other additional info on the TSU3000 or when the price drop of the TSU2000 will take place? Thanks.

GordonL

Supporting Actor
More info and pics of the TSU-3000 Link Removed
No word on pricing yet, but if it's replacing the TSU-2000, it'll probably go for around $400 MSRP.

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
It needs to come out very soon. Over the weekend we were moving stereo equipment around and my wife dropped the interconnect cables on top of the Pronto TS1000 I have and cracked the screen.

Before that, i was only using 54% of the 1MB of memory to control a Pre-Amp, TV, TiVo, DVD, 2xCD Jukeboxes, a list of all the channels, and a list of all the CDs (500+).

So 2MB should be plenty unless you're really large graphic heavy. But with 4 colors, that shouldn't be an issue.

But, like said, wait for the TSU3000. I'm trying to. I did buy the color one for a short period of time, but it died and I sent it back. Didn't get another one, kept the 1000.

I still would like a color one though. Hoping there is a TSU3001 hiding out there.

Jim Lenneman

Stunt Coordinator
Tom,
Given that the MSRP for the Marantz 9200 (basically the Pronto Pro with a hard button cursor) is $1250, and that a TSU3001 would have even more features (scripting for instance) I think sticker shock would be a problem. :D
Jim L

GordonL

Supporting Actor
Tom,
Some people have successfully replaced their broken screens with the $59 Samsung UG24U01WGHT3B available here

Jim Lenneman

Stunt Coordinator
Tom,
Check out joey6p.com for instructions, complete with pictures of disassembly. There is an extra screw under the sticker on the bottom of the Pronto. Takes a wierdo Torx #6 or #7 screwdriver. Here's a direct link: Link Removed
Jim L

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TVonDVDCollector
Recent bookmarks