What's new

Inwall cabling: will speaker & video interact? (1 Viewer)

mctague

Stunt Coordinator
I know ac lines are to be avoided / crossed at 90 degree angles...but my question is: Is it okay to locate speaker wire near video cables (coax & component)?
I'm about to embark on relocating my rack....

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The simple answer is that you can run various cables containing line-level signals (Video, un-amplified audio) together. Just make sure they are all using coaxial or shielded types of wires. (Most of them are already so dont worry).
But speaker wires are un-shielded, and they carry WATTS of power. So they ARE power wires. You want to run these away from video and line-level audio wires.
If you are running things to electrical outlet-box's, I would suggest you do 2: One box for video & line-level, and another for speaker wires.
A better thing to do is to buy blank wall-plates and drill holes. Pull enough wire that it goes un-broken from source to destination and thread this through the wall-plates.
Later, when you sell the house you can just seal up the box with a new wall plate, or install wall-plates with connectors on it.
Hope this helps.

mctague

Stunt Coordinator
Good thing I asked then, Bob. I was already planning on having 2 electrical boxes....so what would be a safe distance between speaker & video cables?
I was also planning on pulling the component cable straight through, though I was gonna terminate the speaker wire because I wanted to use 4-conductor wire. Hafta rethink that one, I would LOVE to save the money on all those speaker terminals...but I would need alot more speaker wire. Plus I agree with avoiding extra connectors, though I don't expect perfection from my HT. A music only system I have has unterminated bare speaker wire...which sounds GREAT.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks