What's new

Intel, Vudu Partner for UltraViolet Distribution (1 Viewer)

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
This is great to see happening. More support pre CES:"Intel Corp. has begun working with Walmart’s Vudu.com streaming service to help facilitate better access to UltraViolet-compatible content via the chip maker’s software embedded on Windows, Android, and iOS platforms.Specifically, Intel is supporting Vudu with software APIs (“application programming interface”) and cloud services to handle the UltraViolet common-file format processing, which is designed to simplify UV delivery across multiple platforms, according to a spokesperson.A software API specifies how software components should interact with each other. In addition to accessing databases or computer hardware, such as disk drives or video cards, an API can be used to ease the work of programming graphical user interface components.UltraViolet is the industry-backed cloud-based digital content storage platform aimed at spurring physical and digital sellthrough of studio movies at a time when subscription streaming, on-demand programming and low-cost rental kiosks infiltrate the home entertainment market.Intel Core processors are standard on most PCs, laptops, and tablets."

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I don't understand how this will work. Does this mean that windows PC's will play cff files natively? And if so, how would it verify ownership?

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Embedded is really the wrong word to use here. None of these APIs will be integrated at the OS level, you will still need a plugin of some kind (think like: Silverlight or Java or Flash) except that they will be tied to one made by Intel.So this middleware made by intel will make it so that anyone can integrate UV functionality (and I'm guessing interface with intels DRM chips where possible (PC)) but it still is layered on top of the OS, not part of it.Because of that, this doesn't sound like a big deal UNLESS you are pushing for more storefronts, which are already flourishing so badly as to make another level of fragmentation which was supposedly the POINT of UV to stop in the first place.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Sam Posten said:
Embedded is really the wrong word to use here. None of these APIs will be integrated at the OS level, you will still need a plugin of some kind (think like: Silverlight or Java or Flash) except that they will be tied to one made by Intel.So this middleware made by intel will make it so that anyone can integrate UV functionality (and I'm guessing interface with intels DRM chips where possible (PC)) but it still is layered on top of the OS, not part of it.Because of that, this doesn't sound like a big deal UNLESS you are pushing for more storefronts, which are already flourishing so badly as to make another level of fragmentation which was supposedly the POINT of UV to stop in the first place.

I believe that UV is finally flourishing with the help of the studios and their Digital HD Ultraviolet campaign and the now very high user satisfaction reviews the service has been receiving lately not to mention all the new storefronts including Comcast and Target. UV is finally succeeding and leaving the early adopter stage. I expect more UV and DIgital HD goodies at CES next week.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
That's fine, we clearly disagree on all things about this tech, add one to the list. I believe that not listening to customers who continue to say that the disparate, incompatible storefronts is confusing to them and is not moving the format forward, and the UV cheerleaders believe that any UV is good UV. We'll see...

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Who said that having multiple storefronts is a bad thing? I've heard many arguments against UV, but not that one. That's almost like saying it's a bad thing to be able to buy a DVD at Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, Costco, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble. Having multiple retailers is a positive thing. It introduces price competition, makes more titles available in the digital marketplace, more features, and grows the customer base. If it was only vudu, then how would it reach people who refuse to shop at wal-mart for any reason? They can go to Target now. As long as the files will play on any UV player, then it's a great thing.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Is this no longer true?
Titles are redeemable on the streaming services own websites: a DVD title sold in WalMart for example is redeemed on Vudu, the same title sold in Target is redeemed on TargetTicket (both have separate user signups). A title bought in WalMart that requires redemption on Vudu, however, cannot be redeemed on TargetTicket and vice versa even if they are the same movie and both UltraViolet compatible titles.[29] This also means there is no standardized player across services, it is possible that a user has to install separate UV Players for content from each studio/streaming provider used even if the same codecs are utilized.[29]
If not, one of you should edit the wikipedia page. Either way, the biggest complaint besides the redemption issues still requiring multiple accounts is that they have to check multiple storefronts to find out who has what and at what price. Now I'm a deal hunter so I can handle that part of it, but the idea that digital storefronts have different inventories when it should ALL be available at all stores seems kinda dumb to me.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
That never was true. Sometimes a disc sold in a store will have inserts that send the user to it's own website to redeem the title, but it isn't neccesary to use that retailer to redeem the title. In fact, most inserts that I have seen links to the studio's custom website, which let's users choose their retailer. For example, redeemmovies.com lionsgate's redemption site, links to Vudu, CinemaNow, TargetTicket, and Flixster. The wikipeida page used to state that the user had to register at each studio website to redeem the title. That hasn't been true since July of 2012, so a few weeks ago, I changed it to reflect that. The next day, it was changed to what you see now. Ihave actually been working on the history section and the retailer chart today. I will fix the other part later.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I have completely re-written the criticism section of the wikipedia page. I think I have covered most of the current complaints, but feel free to offer your thoughts.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
This is what I'm seeing right now:
A common complaint is that UltraViolet is not compatible with existing video platforms, such as iTunes, Amazon Instant Video and xBox video. However, UltraViolet movies can be played on Apple devices such as the iPad and iPhone, and on the xBox through a separate app from one of the many streaming providers.Studio's such as Disney, MGM, and many independent studio's are not releasing films in the UV format, thus leaving lots of holes in people's collections.Most of the mobile apps are only able to download movies in standard definition.It is not possible to download an UltraViolet movie, and copy it to another device, such as a smartphone or tablet. However, that capability is coming with the launch of the Common File Format.Streaming providers may not carry every UV movie or TV show available, so you may not be able to view your entire collection on one platfrom. This will improve as platforms increase their library of films.UltraViolet does not offer the ability to delete a movie from one's collection.It is not possible to transfer ownership of an UltraViolet film from one user to another.It is possible that a user can hold a right to watch a movie online but be unable to view the film if a streaming provider goes out of business; this would occur if no other streaming provider or studio carries the title even if UltraViolet says a user has the right to watch it.Users have attempted to sell UV codes to others online, which is against the Terms of Service.[35][36]User complaints about UltraViolet's initial rollout and difficulties in playing streaming content[37] led to Flixster issuing iTunes codes for select titles to upset customers during the 2011 Holiday Season.[38]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UltraViolet_(system)That seems very fair Josh. I'm not certain if it would be helpful (or allowed) to list outdated and fixed areas of criticism, but the rollout one already listed is spot on.From a grammar perspective studio's should not be possessive in almost all instances in that paragraph and I would rewrite "that capability is coming with the launch of the Common File Format." to "that capability is promised in the upcoming launch of the Common File Format." and put an attribution link for those details.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks