What's new

Integrated Amp for Paradigm Minis (1 Viewer)

Brian_Br

Auditioning
Hi, I am looking to purchase a dedicated 2 channel speaker setup. I am considering the Paradigm Mini Monitors (along with the others in the M series, the B&W line, etc.).

I keep hearing that the Paradigms should be paired up with with a warmer amp, such as a Denon, Harman Kardon, Onkyo or Marantz. I have trouble with the idea of spending more money on an amp than on the speaker set (!!!), and would appreciate any suggestions.

I am also considering spending a bit more on speakers and if necessary and would welcome some ideas. Thanks.

Brian

Yogi

Screenwriter
My Paradigm Titans paired with an ASL 15W(UL)/5W(triode) toob amp sounds heavenly in SET (5W) mode. Plenty loud with a sound to die for. You can find the ASL integrated for as low at $400 on A'gon. Its worth every penny, IMHO. Paradigms, IMHO sound best with tubed electronics. If you dont believe me try it and see for yourself.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Price range for the whole thing? What source(s)? For music only, I'd go with the B&Ws 602 over the Minis (as a former Mini owner). IMO, a used Marantz, NAD or Rotel integrated is the way to go.

I'm using Mordaunt Short 902s in my little 2ch setup which are on sale right now for $279 in black at www.accessoriesforless.com. Great little speakers - fast, articulate and good with every type of music.

Brian_Br

Auditioning
I'm pretty confused overall. I don't really have a budget in mind, i was initially thinking 1000 or so, but if I can get substantial gains i'm willing to spend 2000 or even more. I guess my main objective is to get a nice setup, maybe entry level to high end.

I've had the opportunity to audition a ton of speakers, but not with the same amp, and not at the same time. In your opinion, if I wanted to purchase 2 speakers, an amp (either integrated or amp and preamp), and cd player along with cables, what system setup would you recommend for $1000, 1500, and $2000?

Thanks for the help.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I forgot to ask, what size room? If it's a larger room, you may want a larger or more sensitive speaker.

I put together my little 2ch system for under $1K: Marantz PM7000 (95x2@8 Ohms), the 902s, Sony CA70ES, Audioquest Diamondbacks and Type 4 wire. In this system I also used GR Research A/V-1s and Paradigm Studio 20s. It sounded great with each of them. The 20s gave the most extension, but the 902s and the A/V-1s are both cleaner in the midrange. ($1K does not include my salamander rack and Paradigm speaker stands).

I've been thinking about moving to a tube integrated, and ASL is at the top of the list :D

Audiogon is an excellent place to look for deals. There are a few NAD units available, one Rotel integrated, and a nice ASL setup, all in about the same price range.

Speakers, I'd recommend taking a look at the A/V-1s at www.gr-research.com. There are also a pair of GR's older, but slightly better (more expensive than the A/V-1) Paradox 1s on Audiogon right now for less than new A/V-1s

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
My 2 channel system is also under $1K. Check out the "Clearance" section at Audio Advisor....they're good deals there (with factory warranty and a 30 day retrun policy).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks