What's new

Integra releasing a universal player? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I am on the e-mail list for Evolution Audio & Video (www.eavlaser.com), and I just received a message from them with the following announcement:
The new line of Integra Receivers & DVD Players debut this month. Starting with their new entry level Digital Receiver, the DTR-5.3, all Integra units now have a minimum of 6 channels of amplification. Their top of line DVD player also includes both DVD-Audio and SACD playback.
Does anyone know anything about an Integra universal player? I don't recall any talk about it here.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
keith:
if you recall, there was a recent discussion on a new yamaha universal player. the gentleman who started the thread posted this following link:
twice
for the sake of time though, the following is quoted from the article:
and Yamaha brands. For its part, Pioneer's Elite series will get its first home-theater-in-a-box system, which will feature a receiver with built-in SACD/DVD-AV player.
personally, i'm looking forward to this new breed of universals. right now there are still less than 10 titles on either format i'd actually purchase so i am biding my time until the time is right so to speak.
kevin t

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, thanks. I saw the thread on the Yamaha universal player, but only read the TWICE link quickly and mostly paid attention to information on the Yamaha player. The information on other players is obviously scant, so hopefully more will be coming soon.

Onkyo/Integra generally builds very good components, so I am looking forward to their universal players as alternatives to the Pioneer Elite models.

Eric Wood

Stunt Coordinator
I just had a nice discussion with the distributer of Integra models in Columbus, Oh. He stated, the-do- everything Integra 8.3 DVD player will be available for demonstration in October.:emoji_thumbsup:

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Eric, thanks for the information. I have an Integra dealer near me, so I will have to check it out. Did your dealer quote a price?

Kevin T

Screenwriter
a grand? $1000? for an integra universal player? i dunno. sounds kinda too good to be true.

kevin t

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Eric,
Thanks.
Kevin,
$1000 might get you a nice Integra component. I have demoed the Integra DPS-7.2 DVD-Audio player, and at $800, it is a very nice component. My main beef with it, aside from the fact that it doesn't do SACD (;)), is that it is an interlaced player. $800 is way too much for an interlaced player these days (the '7.2 came out in 2001). I would guess that the Integra universal component will do progressive scan. It might not show the excellent build quality of the Integra '9.1 (same as Onkyo DV-S939), but I expect it to be a solid component. Onkyo/Integra doesn't turn out junk. :)

Kevin T

Screenwriter
keith:

perhaps i'm too jaded but when i read integra is releasing a universal player, i totally expected it to be in the $1500-$2000 price range especially since the recent marantz retailed at $1500. $1000 is a fairly decent price for the convenience of an all in one.

kevin t

AaronD

Stunt Coordinator
From that little blurb there doesn't seem to be much difference between the Integra and Onkyo units. I wonder if this is just another case of a rebadged product selling for more under a premium name without any actualy gain in features or performance.
I'm sure there are differences (at least I hope), but I'd like to know what they are! :)
-Aaron

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Aaron, Onkyo and Integra products often show subtle differences. For one thing, Integra products come with a three-year warranty, while Onkyo products generally come with a one-year warranty. Also, while Onkyo components often have a hard-wired power cord, the corresponding Integra components have detachable power cords. There also could be differences under the hood -- power supply, analog output stages, etc. So, it could be that the Integra component is worth the extra $200 or so.

David Head

Second Unit
You can read more about the Onkyo DV-SP800 here and see a picture of it too. This would fit well with my Onkyo TX-DS696...
David

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
David, thanks for providing the link. I assume the Integra unit will look similar, except that it will probably have some round buttons instead of rectangular ones.

Onkyo's press release indicates that the 'SP800 will have 24/192 DACs. Hopefully it will decode DSD directly to analog, meaning without conversion to PCM.

The 'SP800 shown in the press release has a detachable power cord. What is very cool is that the unit pictured has 7.1-channel outputs. There are two pairs of surround outputs, along with a switch that allows you to select either one pair of surround outputs or both pairs. Is this the first component to have 7.1-channel outputs?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
One more thought. There is no 7.1-channel music material, obviously. If the two pairs of surrounds can be used for multi-channel music, I would assume the 'SP800 would send the same audio to both pairs of surrounds. I wonder how the 7.1-channel outputs have been implemented. Is the extra pair of surrounds only available for movies (Dolby Digital and DTS)?

David Head

Second Unit
I was curious about the 7.1 outputs also, but can't find anything that says it will be used in audio mode.
BTW, this unit will carry the THX Ultra seal. It looks like it will decode DSD directly to analog according to OneCall, which has it listed for $999 and shows it in silver.
David

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
David, thanks for providing the OneCall link too. The 'SP800 looks sweet in silver, but there is one problem. If you click on the small picture of the unit on the OneCall link, a pop-up window comes up with a picture of the back of the unit. Note that the back of the unit has a Region 2 logo. My guess is that the silver version is only for the European market. This is a common practice -- black components in the US and the same components in silver or gold overseas.

Note also that one feature stated on the OneCall link is:

Twin SCARTs with RGB thru-put
We certainly won't see these video connections on the US model. The SCART jacks appear on the back panel of the silver unit shown on OneCall's web site.

David Head

Second Unit
Keith,
You're welcome. Good catch on the region 2 label. I missed that in the pop-up window. It looks like OneCall threw together a page to generate pre-orders and will need to update the info. BTW, I'm one of those people that prefers their components in black, so I wouldn't be disappointed if it didn't come in silver. ;)
David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks