Install/upgrad to Windows XP

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Cameron Yee, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    My three-year old Dell is running on Windows ME and I've been thinking about switching to XP. Full version of XP Home is about 180.00 through Dell. Is there a less expensive way of getting it? I've looked on eBay but am wary about buying there despite coming from Titanium Powersellers. Any recommendations appreciated. I've considered even just buying a new computer (such as the one offered in the Deals section) but of course that means potentially spending three to four times as much for things I don't necessarily need.

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Buy an OEM version.

3. Kelvin Tucker

Kelvin Tucker Stunt Coordinator

Well, assuming you are still in school you could go the cheapo $84 upgrade route --> NewEgg

Personally I like the Full version, since I hate having to find the old media when I reinstall. Which with M$ is at least annually.

KT

4. Jonny K

Jonny K Second Unit

If you're a student (college or university), you can get it for much cheaper. I know I can buy most software at my University computer store for much less. If not, then the cheapest way is to buy XP Home edition (boxed or maybe OEM). OEM copies can ONLY be installed on blank hard-drives from what I understand, while the regular edition can be used for upgrades (although I recommend a full re-install from a blank drive anyway). It's $160.00 here in Canada for the OEM edition.

5. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

The upgrade version is the cheapest option. In most B&Ms the price tends to hover in the $90s. I have never noticed price difference between CompUSA, Best Buy, CC, and thier ilk.