What's new

Install/upgrad to Windows XP (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
My three-year old Dell is running on Windows ME and I've been thinking about switching to XP. Full version of XP Home is about 180.00 through Dell. Is there a less expensive way of getting it? I've looked on eBay but am wary about buying there despite coming from Titanium Powersellers. Any recommendations appreciated. I've considered even just buying a new computer (such as the one offered in the Deals section) but of course that means potentially spending three to four times as much for things I don't necessarily need.

Kelvin Tucker

Stunt Coordinator
Well, assuming you are still in school you could go the cheapo $84 upgrade route --> NewEgg

Personally I like the Full version, since I hate having to find the old media when I reinstall. Which with M$ is at least annually.

KT

Jonny K

Second Unit
If you're a student (college or university), you can get it for much cheaper. I know I can buy most software at my University computer store for much less. If not, then the cheapest way is to buy XP Home edition (boxed or maybe OEM). OEM copies can ONLY be installed on blank hard-drives from what I understand, while the regular edition can be used for upgrades (although I recommend a full re-install from a blank drive anyway). It's $160.00 here in Canada for the OEM edition.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
The upgrade version is the cheapest option. In most B&Ms the price tends to hover in the $90s. I have never noticed price difference between CompUSA, Best Buy, CC, and thier ilk.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks