What's new

Infocus X! - funny image. Help (1 Viewer)

SamCK

Agent
Hello. Am very new to this. Just hooked up my Infocus X1 (Front Projection) with a 120 inch diagonal screen. Am only using a yellow video cable from the receiver, but the image is excellent. Was planning on running S-video the twenty feet, but now I'm not sure if the image will improve with this projector.

However, when the image is projected in a dark room. THe actual picture looks great, but there is a small strip under the colour picure which is fainty illuminated. When I switch from 16:9 to 4:3 the amount at the bottom decreases, but is still present. WHat can I do about this. Is it normal. Thanks.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Does this illuminated "color strip" appear on all material, or just on one source (say DVD or Cable/Sat)?

SamCK

Agent
It doesn't appear when there is no video feed, ie just the infocus displaying it's image. With DVD it has an illuminated (dark) area below the picture - less with wide screen than 4:3. With Satellite feed at 4:3, there is still a smaller, but noticeable area below the actual picture. Basically, it looks like the image has been blacked by the projector.

The room right now is an light "apricot" colour and even in the pitch dark (only the projector) the whoel room lights up. What colour is siggested for home theaters. This is a dedicatd room now.

SamCK

Agent
Basically, its a distinct gray halo all around the active picture area. The stray light is a bit distracting. Is this the chip technology, grey black, or set-up problem.

Would it help if I painted the whole front wall black.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
This sounds like the light spill that you are describing. Does it spill past the screen and onto the surrounding wall?

SamCK

Agent
Yes. From my research last night (on the net), it definately is light spill probably related to the DLP chip. I assume it's normal for this projector. WHat can I do to lessen the impact. I have a 120 inch 4:3 screen, and am going to paint the wall black to absorb the light spill. The problem will be when I go to 16:9 format and the bottom of my white screen will have the light spill.

What kind of paint is recommended for the ceiling and wall around screen? A flat black. Any suggestions for side walls. I was thinking Burgandy. Right now the whole room is a bright colour and it lights up from the projected image with no lights on. Thanks.

Sacha_C

Second Unit
I guess by "yellow cable" you mean composite? I would highly recommend NOT using that, you are only using maybe 25% of the qualtiy the X1 is capable of by using this low quality conenction. I would use component/vga cables for best quality.

agendrano

Grip
I have the X1 and I had problems with the light spill, it was quite distracting.

I painted the wall dark navy blue, which helps a lot, but I still can see the spill (am using a 16:9 screen, projector is ceiling mounted).

I built a masking system which I placed about 8" in front of the lens. It consist of a base attached to the ceiling (a piece of 1" X 1" aluminum), hang a pair of 1/4" threaded rod, drill holes on a couple of 3/4" aluminum angular bar (this masks the light). I adjusted the mask using the nut on the threaded bar.

No more light spill.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks