What's new

InFocus SP4805 or Optoma H31 (1 Viewer)

Norris

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I've narrowed my choices down to these 2 due to budget (under $1200) and my intended use (99% of the time for playing DVDs). I will be buying a motorized drop down screen (about another $500). Between the 2 projectors above, what would you recommend? I will be watching movies (lots of action and drama) after dark only, so lighting control is not an issue. I've found the SP4805 for $1099.99 and the H31 for $1079.99. So price is practically a wash.

Thanks!

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
To be honest....get either one. They are both relatively similar. The 4805 is near calibrated out of the box while the H31 will need to be tweaked. The 4805 has the louder fan. I would trust that the bulb will last longer on the 4805 because the H31 runs quite hot though. The 4805 can be used with a HTPC while the H31 has a "defect" in it that prohibits it to be used with a HTPC. This is not with all of them but it is with most of them that I have read about. The deinterlacer in the 4805 is the Faroudja chip found in many very expensive machines and the H31 has the Pixelworks chip....very good also, but I will have to give the nod to the 4805 in that category. If it were my decision I think I would go the 4805 route only because it has been around for a lot longer. There is a HUGE on-line cult-like following for the 4805 so help is always a few clicks away. The H31 seemed to join the ballgame a bit late. Whichever one you choos though you will be getting the ultimate DVD machine IMHO. Best of luck to you and let us know which you decide.

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
Hey Norris,
I'm picking up the 4805 this week. Evan did a great job summarizing what I was thinking.

Where are you located?

Norris

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,
Let me know how that 4805 turns out at home. I'm in southern California. Is the 4805 the same as what I see listed as SP4805?

Thanks,

Dick C

Auditioning
Norris: In issue #62 (July/August), The Perfect Vision has a equipment report on the Optoma H31. I recommend that you buy this issue (it's my favorite home theater mag) before making a final purchasing decision. A quote: " Most movie fans -as opposed to nitpicking prefectionists - would be delighted with this projector. At its suggested list price, it's a pretty serious bargain. Discounted, it's an absolute steal."

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Yes, SP4805 is the "4805". The SP stands for Screenplay. Screenplay is Infocus' brand that they put on their hometheater line of projectors. I also think that if you doa little more looking around you can find the 4805 for cheeper. Check out TVauthoriy.com They are a forum sponcer and usually have some of the best deals around on the 4805. Like Dick said, the H31 is a great machine and a steal.....as is the 4805. You WILL NOT go wrong with either one.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I think they're both great projectors. Make sure you compare the throw distance/screen size, and the H31 has a larger image offset from what I've read. That could be good or bad, depending on your ceiling height.

Norris

Stunt Coordinator
Now that you mentioned ceiling height, here are my room's measurements: Viewing distance is anywhere from 13'-15'. Width of room is 15'. Ceiling height is 9'. Will these impact my decision on which to buy. I am leaning towards the SP4805, since my friend has done a few installs on these and the motorized screen, and he'll be helping me out. It's best to pick one that the installer knows very well, especially since the 2 models in question are comparable in quality and price.

Norris

Stunt Coordinator
While searching around, I saw some refurbished projectors priced in the $800s, are they reliable? Anybody here bought a refurbished unit? If they're a headache then I'll just buy new.

Thanks,

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The only drawback with refurbs is they usually have a 90 day warranty. For about $200 more you'd get a 2 year warranty.

Norris

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jim,

I'll go new, over the life of the projector $200 is nothing. I'm gonna order today, both H31 and SP4805 are still running neck and neck in my decision.

Norris

Stunt Coordinator
FYI, anybody looking for the SP4805, I just ordered mine. $1099.99, you also get a $100 rebate = $999.99.:emoji_thumbsup:

Wendell

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought the 4805 at costco yesterday and hooked it up last night, WOW! the picture is awesome and the noise issue not really a big deal as I could not really hear it, I was too distracted by how beautiful the picture was. Im sitting about 14ft back and 4805 about 12ft away from my 88" screen. No sign of SDE here!:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks