What's new

Info on Monster MPHTS700HP Surge Suppressor (1 Viewer)

Rob Ritch

Agent
I am planning to add surge suppression to my HT, and So far I am looking at the Monster MPHTS700HP from Best Buy. The specs on their web site are pretty lacking and I can not find this model on the Monster web site, so I am assumming that this model is built just for BB. For various reasons I am limited to purchasing from BB so I am not looking for recommendations from other places. Has anyone else purchased this suppressor, or have any specs for it? I would be interested in the opinions of anyone that has used this model. How well does the EMI/RFI filter work, and if anyone knows if the sattelite inputs are compatible with DishNetwork? TIA for any help with this.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Rob,
It's good you are getting a surge protector for your nice gear. In the event you ever get a surge/spike, and 99 percent of the time they come from nearby electrical storm lightning strikes up to a mile distant, it may be that the surge suppressor will take the hit and "die." It's supposed to, and let connected equipment keep on living. There's are connected equipment warranties, and there is homeowners insurance as backup, or even primary, beyond the deductible. The surge box maker should replace it if irreparably damaged.
You absolutely want a box that has F-terminals to pass-thru the satellite coax, plus telwire for a Sat STB or PVR phone line. Surges ride in on these lines as well as electrical cords.
M HTS700 is no longer in the model line-up and it's the most entry-level for what you are looking for. HTS800 or 850 are a step up in better protection.
Look for a surge suppressor that claims U.L.1449 Listing if nothing else. Here's a HTF how-to plus a guide to Under-$100 surge protectors.
If you are limited to BB, I will not bad-mouth the HTS700. Some BB offer the AR-10 which also works well.

Rob Ritch

Agent
I stopped off at BB yesterday evening to pick up the HTS700, but they did not have any. I looked around and they did have an HT800. The only difference between the HT800 and the HTS800 is the phone line connection. I went ahead and picked it up since I do not have a phone line connected to any of my HT gear.

I went ahead an replaced the power strip with the HT800 when I got home, and even though I only watched some TV and Grease on DVD I have noticed a difference in both video and audio quality. As far as video (I connected to the Sat feed through the HT800), I noticed that the picture appears to be cleaner/sharper and I have noticed less of what I thought was compression artifacts. On the audio side, the sound seams fuller now, with the sub seeming much cleaner. Maybe it is just in my head, I will have to see over the next few days/weeks.

BTW, Bill the HT800 states that it is U.L. listed but not specifically U.L.1449 listed. Do you happen to know if it is or not. Also the Monster web site lists it at 1665 joules and the box states 1850 joules, I wonder which it really is? Thanks for the input

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
MonsterCable, like B*SE. have such a clamp on their market tiers they dont feel the need to publish spec papers. So we dont know all the details. Mopnster's spec for HT800 is 1665 Joules.
From a hobbyist's POV and that's all I am, I gave this my shot HERE. Joules is not the engineering determinate for surge/spike dissipation, despite advertising. UL 1449 IS. A manufacturer has to go to the expense of submitting units it wants to be certified and it can be optional if they select the newer, higher standards beyond safe powerline cords.
I had noticed many talking and recommending the Monster and Panamax "big box" surge/power conditioners. I thot it'd be neat to create a list of inexpensive units -- cuz that's what most folks seem to get -- but ones I thot really work.
Every single surge protector today comes with a little ferrite filter or filter capacitor or somesuch to capture the typical AC line noise (and that can be evident both video and audio). Voila! the "improved" picture. I say, wonderful. Saved some bucks. Just know what you're buying -- a small surge protector that will work only once in the event of a major lightning powerfield that sends >6000volts all at once down your househiold power circuits.
That's it's main job. Any little power filtering or "conditioning" is a small bonus, and there are upward variations and tweaks for this exercise as well, including compression artifacts from cabletv providers.
The last thing I mean here is to sound overbearing; pls dont take it that way...
regards,
bill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks