What's new

Influence of price on DVD buying (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I've got something to add to my part of this discussion:
The past coupla days I've been looking at the balances on my credit cards. Not just a DVD-related thing, but including a general "going nuts at Christmas", helping visiting relatives pay for their travel and stay over the holidays, and laying out more money for my son's birthday next week.
I can't afford this hobby like I used to. :frowning:
I've already made the painful decision to pass on Deep Space 9. And The Shield as well, despite the 2 Golden Globes and Gord Lacey's strong recommendation. I'll be making other hard "no-buy" decisions coming up, too. That's just the way this is. I have to remember that this IS just a hobby, after all. It's not food on the table, shelter from the storm, or clothes on my back. It's not doctor bills or eyeglasses or gas for the car.
I'm really bummed out, as you can probably tell. Well, it was fun while it lasted. Sigh.

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
Being in college, price is definitely a consideration of mine. It also hurts me that I am currently in "collector mode" (i.e. buying more DVDs than I have time to watch). I will not pay more than $16.99 in a B&M for a DVD I want. If I cannot find it for that price or less, then I will order it online where the availablity and price will be much more competitive. Box Sets and Season Sets are different. I will research the lowest price and buy wherever I can find it. If it something I really want, I will just break down and purchase it.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I can also say that price is a definite factor in my purchasing decisions. I'm just not lucky enough to have a great deal of disposable income at my fingertips. I've kept up with the BUFFY releases, because I can usually find them for under $40. This is a reasonable price for me for these sets. On the other hand, I'm a huge fan of B5 and THE PRISONER, but I just can't justify the money for these sets.
Yes, I know that LD's were more expensive. I was into LD's as well. At the time, though, I didn't have house payments, car payments, insurance, etc. Even then, I only ended up with a small collection of titles, most of which I bought used or in cut-out bins.

I'm fairly happy with the pricing structure of most feature films that come out on DVD nowadays. I think the prices have stabilized to some extent. (Except for a few hold-outs. Paramount, anyone?) I'd be much happier if TV sets would come down to BUFFY levels. I'd have every ST:TNG set and B5 set if they did.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Price is definitely a factor, especially since the days of readily-available internet discounts and coupons are gone.

For example, I purchased several Criterions back in those days without hesitation. A savvy online shopper could easily get $40 MSRP titles for under $15. Now, I really have to want the movie a lot to spend that much. I'd like to get some others like "Sullivan's Travels" but have thus far held off since there are always other titles I want at a lower price.

I'd like to get the new "101 Dalmations II" Disney title for my daughter, but I refuse to pay $20 for it. I'll either rent it or wait until I can somehow get it for closer to $12 or so - hopefully my daughter won't be in high school before that happens.

On the other end of the spectrum I will sometimes purchase a title that gets a good recommendation if there is a really good price. Example: I just ordered "Much Ado About Nothing" (even though I've never seen it) based on favorable reviews (Ron and others) and the fact that BestBuy has it for only $7.99 right now. I doubt I would consider buying it (maybe rent someday) if the price was $15. I really like the value that MGM gives on a lot of their titles.

Win Joy Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, yeah, price factors into almost each decision. I passed on TNG due to price. I liked DS9 more than TNG (or V'ger or Enterprise), so I will limit myself to DS9. Most of the DVD buying is for the kids. I only buy a title that I know I would want to watch more than once a year. So, in the past year that only included 2 titles for me, Clones and Fellowship. The only other boxsets on the horizon are "The Sopranos".

Now, I am about to reactivate my NetFlix membership to start watching Space:1999 and U.F.O.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Yes, price makes a difference, except for my very favorite stuff. For instance, Twin Peaks would have been mine no matter what the pricing structure. But Next Generation is too expensive since it's not one of my big faves. Had it been cheaper (like B5 pricing) I probably would have picked it up. Things that are under $15 that I think I'll like I will pick up without a second thought. Over that, and I may put it off indefinitely.

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Price has to be a factor for me, especially when I buy titles every week and my want list gets larger instead of smaller. I have passed up many TV titles on DVD because of the lump sum investment (ST:TOS, Twilight Zone, Monty Python's Flying Circus, The Prisoner etc..) On the other hand, I have knowingly paid full retail (aaagghhh) for certain titles if they have become scarce (such as certain Disney titles.)

Anders Englund

Second Unit
Yea, price is an issue. And my wife. Those two combined is DEFINATELY an issue. I promsed her that this year, I will mostly stick with the box sets of DS9, Buffy and Angel. So I'll just hold off on just about everything else. At least those impulse buys that's usually the equivalent of $100 per month...

--Anders

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Price is a key factor, but only after Quality has been assured (by me not by marketing promises).

More than US$25 for a single disc really irks me, and more than US$20 for movie-only is kinda weak (beyond weak, actually). I'll pay up to US$30 for a double disc set, but it needs to be a good set.

I think between US$10 and US$20 per title (and many should be double sets with extras and bits) is an awesome price point that will sell *MANY* copies of any title worth selling. Charge someone more than US$25 and they start asking themselves "will I really watch this often enough to own". I will, but I watch DVD exclusively. Most folks don't watch movies like I do. US$10-20 is pocket change for many folks, which makes it an impulse buy and avoids the "will I won't I" questions.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
I'm with the group that has to watch my budget and often have to wait for some titles I really want.
I'm learning to be more patient.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
I love anime movies but I own very little of them since anime DVD's cost a lot of money. I have seen some anime DVD's which retail for $19.99 but many anime DVD's retail for almost $20-$25+ dollars for just one movie.

IMO, the biggest problem is Paramount since Paramount charges more than $20 dollars for DVD's (& many of Paramounts DVD's are bare bones).

Also I would love to own ST:TNG season sets but those sets are way to expensive. I mean for the cost of one season, I could purchase 4+ DVD's.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
Two words: Columbia House
I don't mind waiting for most titles to be available there. Some that won't ever be available there or that are deeply discounted when first released I will buy if I really want them bad.
Otherwise, I have lots to watch while I am waiting.
Cheers ;)

Ronn.W

Second Unit
If it's a DVD I really want, then I will pay the price. If it's a DVD I don't care for, no price will get me to own it.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Price has a huge impact on what I buy, high prices will not stop me from getting a boxed set that I want, low prices will in fact, get me to buy a movie which I did not like at all, just because it’s priced so low.

For example, at Wal-Mart, they have a huge pile of movies for only $8.99 (USD) and at that price, I just pick up all the movies they have, because even if I don’t like them, they are so cheap, and my collection gets bigger. I’m sure that someone who comes over to my house to watch movies, will someday want to see one of them.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I either want a film or I don't. If I do, I'll pay the best price I can get it for at that time (with homegrown R2 titles from a major studios, I'll always wait until they hit the sales, either online or in store)

It's far better to spend £20 on a film you'll watch half a dozen times or more than £10 on a film you'll watch once.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks