Influence of price on DVD buying

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AnthonyWilliams, Jan 17, 2003.

1. AnthonyWilliams

AnthonyWilliams Auditioning

I was wondering how much of an influence the price of a DVD has on your purchasing decisions, and whether you always buy your DVDs from discount stores.

For example, I would love to own the star trek - the next generation DVDs but think they are extremely over-priced. Here in Australia the recommended retail price is $220 (I've seen it for $190). This compares to a recommended price of $120 for Babylon 5 (I bought it for $95) and recommended price of $145 for Farscape (I bought it for around $120).

Any thoughts?

2. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

STAR TREK: TNG was priced the same as THE X-FILES in the US and since it is my very favorite show of all time I had no problem buying each one on release day. $100 each at Suncoast, each includes a bonus disc (all but 1 of them worthwhile), each earned me $15 in coupons.
    If a disc is too expensive when released, I will wait for a price drop or a used copy. Or gift money from the family. [​IMG]

3. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

X Files and Star Trek TNG are both too expensive to my liking, even though I greatly enjoyed both shows. My plan is to either wait for used copies or for the price to drop below $100 for new ones.
    Or get them as gifts. [​IMG]

4. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Price is an important factor in my buying decisions, but is not the only one. If there is something I must have, I will get it. Price becomes an issue on titles that are not must owns, and often a very low price can encourage me to buy something I had no intention of getting at all.

For TV series, I have passed on a lot of titles, including Trek and Twin Peaks due to the high cost. Neither of these are essentials for me, but I would prefer to own them at some point.

5. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

6. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I try to buy only what I love, so the only thing that price modifies is whether I wait to try to buy it later either used or after a price reduction.

7. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

There's a lot of stuff I would like, but can't justify the current cost. This includes most criterion releases, most Disney special editions, and a lot of tv sets. Is there any reason other hour shows can't be priced like Buffy?

8. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

If I truly love a film, I'll buy it whatever the costs.

If I'm on the fence about a film or only marginally interested, price is a factor.

If I dislike a film, you couldn't give it to me for free!

9. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I only buy films I either like or think have extremely great potential.

Having said that, I go by a pricing hiearchy.

Single-disc Barebones: $14.99 or less
    Single-disc Special Edition: $14.99 - $19.99
    Double-disc Special Edition: $19.99 - $34.99
    Criterion Single-disc: $24.99
    Criterion Double-disc: $24.99 - $39.99
    Box-Set: Price at the most $20 per disc

For reasons well-known, I don't own many Paramount discs, and according to sources, that's unlikely to change.

10. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

For me price is very important regardless if the DVD is a must have or not. If the cost is too high I'll wait until I can get it at a lower price. I can afford to wait seeing that I have DVDs over two years old that I have not seen yet. [​IMG]

11. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

Price is rarely a factor for me, but I think I'm in a much better position finacially that many people here.

Having said that, I do have a hard time paying the $26 euros/dollars that Disney wants for one of their short 76 minute films.

12. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Generally, every thought expressed so far is one that bounces through my head when I decide to pick up a title. I decide each on a title-by-title basis.
    I might pick up a title as a blind purchase that I otherwise wouldn't, because a great deal (usually on week of release) is too good to pass up.
    I love films and tv shows, obviously, and that's why I like to collect so many. If I am reasonably sure I will enjoy something, I pick it up now to enjoy when I'm in the mood for it. I've referred to it as "library-building" in the past.
    By-and-large, I try to keep in mind that the cheaper I can buy any given disc for, the more money I'll have for the next disc. That was, in fact, the origins of the The Weekly Roundup! [​IMG]

13. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

As long as the price is still reasonable, I'll get it. Last Tuesday, Wal-Mart hadn't gotten copies of Undercover Brother yet, so I went to Movie Gallery. They had it for 19.99, or 21.09 after tax. 21 or 22 bucks before tax is my limit for most everything.

14. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

15. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

If it's a DVD that isn't a "Must Own Now", I usually try to wait until the title is available as an enrollment title at Columbia House, and rejoin the club (and cancel, rejoin etc.).

16. Charlie Essmeier

Charlie Essmeier Stunt Coordinator

Compared to laserdisc, all DVDs are cheap. An item that's comparable in price to the Star Trek sets is the Gerry Anderson Thunderbirds set, which sells for about $150 on DVD. I paid $750 for the set on laserdisc four years ago, and that was for a USED set. The original list was closer to $900.

DVD is a bargain.

Charlie

17. Todd Robertson

Todd Robertson Second Unit

I could care less about the price of a dvd. it's my hobby and my collection. is it not a little too late to worry about that crap? prices too high? find another job![​IMG]

18. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Yeah, it is a factor for me. I look at the price to special feature ratio. This is why I probably won't buy many anime DVDs. They are overpriced (usually $25), include only a few episodes, and little, if any, special features. I would be better off getting a good movie in a 2-disc set for that price.

19. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    I sometimes decide which region's version to buy based on price, if all other factors are equal (i.e. quality of transfer, extras. I don't care about PAL v. NTSC, if anything PAL speed-up is a minor negative).

so for ST:TNG, I went with region 2. at the time, based on exchange rates, it was actually the cheapest, which is unusual since R4 is usually cheaper than the comparable R2 release (Anthony, you may wish to look at amazon.co.uk, even after shipping it's cheaper than ezydvd.com.au -- and remember the list price includes VAT which is later deducted from the order for non-EU residents).

right now, with the pound having appreciated, it's about the same as the R1 release. oh well, I like the plastic clam-shell packaging too, so that was a nice bonus. but for DS9, I'll have to rethink it again depending on what they put out.

but the short gist is really, for a must-have, price is not really an obstacle. I spend too much on DVDs...

20. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

when I buy a must own title price does not really matter and occasionally I make a blind purchase. That is after Ron reviews some films I have never seen before.
    cheers
    [​IMG]