What's new

Indiana Jones Temple of Doom (1 Viewer)

Ernest_T

Grip
I went to a DVD shop last night to check out the new arrivals and was surprised to see an all-zone Temple of Doom DVD on sale; was told by the retailer the first and third Indiana Jones will be here next week. I did not buy it because I was unsure of the quality; will wait for a while to hear from those who have bought it. This DVD is Korean produced and presented in DD 5.1, widescreen but non-anamorphic and without any notable special features.

I have not been to this forum for sometime so forgive me for asking this question which probably has been discussed many times before: When will the R1 DVDs of Indiana Jones be released? I have noticed that whenever a movie is released on VCD or R3 DVD, the R1 DVD with all the pops and whistles will not be far behind. So I am hoping here this trilogy will be out soon on R1.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
It's most likely pirated from the laserdisc, which means its availability says NOTHING about when a legitimate R1 release is coming, and which also means this thread will be closed.

Ernest_T

Grip
Sorry for not checking other threads before posting this one; did not know there was another thread on this topic until now. Most of the forum members stated that this is probably a bootleg version. But after checking with the retailer which sells only legitimate versions of DVDs from various regions, he confirmed that it is not a bootleg but a licensed release (of course, we could be wrong).

Those who are not familiar with the video release in Asia, especially in the R3 zone, are not aware that many movies are legitimately released ahead of the rest of the world, but these are usually non-anamorphic and without special features and are usually half or one-third of the price of R1 release. One example I can think of is "The Others" which was released a few months ahead of the R1 release which was selling for U$$7. I think the studios are doing so due to piracy in Asia; if the price of an original is comparative to a pirated one, most will opt for the former.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Are you sure this is an authorized release?

The Others was released by Universe Video & Laser Company Limited, a reputable distributor of films on DVD & VCD in Hong Kong.

The cover art should have the LucasFilm Limited logos and the United International Pictures logos and copyrights.

Ernest_T

Grip
I have to check on that when I go down town tomorrow. The packaging is simply too nice for a bootleg.

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
NOTE TO MODERATOR: The following post is not meant to condone bootlegging or piracy in any way shape or form, so please do not take it as such. In fact, it's purpose is to educate against purchasing bootlegs, so please read the complete post in context before making judgement.

The packaging is simply too nice for a bootleg.
Actually, the Malaysian DVD bootlegs out there have packaging that is indistinguishable from the real thing when not looking too closely, and can be had from online retailers for as little as $8.00-$10.00.

The art work and keep case packaging is easily as good as what comes with legitimate DVDs; but what gives them away right off the bat are the consistent typos, mistranslations of plot information into English, incorrect listing of running times, and feature/sound format errors. The discs even have screen printed artwork and contain full digital sound and picture transfers ripped from DVD screeners like those sent out to Academy members. The give-away is the rolling MPAA scroll that pops up every 20 minutes or so giving the 800 # to report piracy. They ARE illegal and can be had from online retailers for as little as $8.00-$10.00.

Though they are pressed in plants overseas and not DVDRs, these bootlegs are non-anamorphic and single layer; meaning long movies ripped from legitimate dual layer DVDs have to be compressed from the original bit rates to half as much in order to fit on one layer. This makes shots with motion all but unwatchable. Static shots look as good as legitimate DVDs however. Sound quality is usually as good as the original source disc.

I saw a couple of bootlegs of a recent block-buster animated film and fantasy epic (both still in theaters) at a flea market recently. From a distance the picture looked good on the 19 inch TV the seller had hooked up. But up close, the compression artifacts during motion sequences made the Highlander 10th Anniversary DVD look like reference material!

Sound on the modest surround system the seller had hooked up was very good however. The animated film even had DTS sound as evidenced by the indicator light on the receiver the seller was playing it through. To top off the story, the seller was asking $20 a pop for these discs. Sadly, a lot of parents at the flea market were scarfing them up for their clammoring kids.

NOTE TO MODERATOR: Here's the anti-bootlegging part.

However, anyone who cares about home video quality knows these bootleg discs are a ripoff as well as illegal; AND WILL AVOID THEM AT ANY COST! JUST SAY NO!!!

Having a movie before it is officially released on DVD is not a good thing; if for nothing else other than the sub-par video compression quality. Both of these films will be out by early to mid summer 2002 with deluxe treatment on legitimate DVD, making the bootlegs a serious waste of money for having them 3 or 4 months early with crappy quality and no extras.

Good things come to those who have patience and wait, as shortcuts like bootlegs will always be substandard when compared to the real deal and will not have the special features we have all come to know and love.

As evidenced by my flea market trip, it's apparent that a lot of people do not follow this philosophy and buy these crappy bootleg DVDs. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Be smart and don't make their mistake.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
There are no legit releases of the Indiana Jones films OR Star Wars to DVD anywhere in the world

Ernest, have you been living in Hong Kong long? It's a hotbed of bootlegged product. The only way you can be sure (for the most part) that something isn't a bootleg is to buy it from a well known international chain store.

YANG

Screenwriter
"Actually, the Malaysian DVD bootlegs out there have packaging that is indistinguishable from the real thing when not looking too closely, and can be had from online retailers for as little as $8.00-$10.00."

Guys...

The above is very true.The pirated products that managed to invade the local market looks very identical to original official U.S releases.You can see that some UNIVERSAL movies carries either "COLLECTOR'S EDITION" or "DTS SURROUND SOUND" banner.DREAMWORKS titles with "SIGNATURE COLLECTION" banner,FOX titles with "FIVE STAR COLLECTION" banner/frame and so on.

Most consumers,who are ignorant or who never collect discs(compared to hardcore collectors/addicts/fanatics) will fall into this trap.

There are some discs which you can easily identify if they are fake...such as PARAMOUNT titles with "COLLECTORS SERIES","SUPERBIT","FIVE STAR COLLECTION" or "SIGNATURE COLLECTION","COLLECTORS EDITION" banner.The latest bullshit is "VISTA SERIES" on movies that is not produced or released by BVI.To most disc collectors(experienced ones),these are the flaws that can be easily detected if you know which product is from which original studios.

Not to be offensive to you ERNEST,but once you see a MOVIE product that is region coded as '0' from a respectable studio(such a PARAMOUNT or FOX),something is really wrong.You should be able to tell that is a fake,original products should not be lack of extras.

Most important of all,TEMPLE OF DOOM is not the first episode of the INDY series.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Here are some "bootleg" covers...
Thirteen Ghosts:
Link Removed
None of the above titles have dts as noted on the covers.

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
Most important of all,TEMPLE OF DOOM is not the first episode of the INDY series.
Though made second, it comes before Raiders storywise (it's a prequel). So of the theatrical films, it is the first episode.

Taking into account The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles however, it's very near the end storywise in the entire Indiana Jones saga, with Raiders and Last Crusade following it, and then the Chronicles episode where Harrison Ford does a guest shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks