What's new

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023) (2 Viewers)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Apparently there is a review embargo on The Batman (presumably if they're bad it will affect pre booking), will be interesting to see if this becomes a trend. Indi 5 and Avatar 2 might be candidates!
Weird, because it seems to be getting rave reviews.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Agreed. I still remember seeing that sequence as a 7 or 8 year old and wondering why there were toys in some shots. Even a child watching on a 1980s TV (or maybe even one from the late 70's) could tell they were crappy looking dolls
Wow, I did not notice them. Even now I think it blends well. They don't show the dolls for too long and from the front. I'm completely immersed in the sequence so it works for me.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I've often wondered why the mine car chase hasn't been turned into a theme park thrill ride yet... especially since the Disney parks have a couple of Indiana Jones attractions already.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I've often wondered why the mine car chase hasn't been turned into a theme park thrill ride yet... especially since the Disney parks have a couple of Indiana Jones attractions already.
Not close enough?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Not close enough?

Too bad that's not ("close enough") in either Disney locations here in the USA though...

_Man_

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Weird, because it seems to be getting rave reviews.
Not weird. The movie is officially released March 4. A review embargo until February 28 is designed to make sure that the reviews are posted during the week of release when WB's marketing effort is at its height. They aren't trying to hide the reviews; they are trying to time them to come out when the anticipation for the movie is highest so that they will create even more enthusiasm among potential audiences. All movies do this.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Nice!

I'll admit I've only kept up with the attractions at the US parks... silly me!
Tokyo DisneySea has a very similar ride but it is not themed to Indy.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
...until he looks like Patrick Stewart. ;)

or George Hall

1646135479322.png

Ross Gowland

Second Unit
Real Name
Ross Gowland
Wow, I did not notice them. Even now I think it blends well. They don't show the dolls for too long and from the front. I'm completely immersed in the sequence so it works for me.

Works for me too, bar a couple of dodgy back projection shots (although no worse than some in the recent Jungle Cruise). I remember seeing it as a kid in the cinema. I think I'd already seen a Making Of on TV in 1984 and knew how it was done, but still got caught up in it.

There are some disappointing effects in the film, though. Soon after this sequence they're standing on a ledge as water bursts through the cliff and even at the time I thought it looked fake. But I'd grown up with Doctor Who and Blake's 7 as well as the Amicus/Doug McLure lost world films so could easily "see through" wobbly effects and not be taken too far out of the story.

As for the old Indy argument; well, put me down as ageist. I think some characters should stay roughly the same age. The first three films would be impossible if Indy was in his late-Seventies. I thought Crystal Skull pushed its luck in that regard and that was 14 years ago. Think of Indiana Jones and you think of fistfights and swinging on whips and running from rolling boulders.

I think Indy should've bowed out after Last Crusade. If people want more then maybe recast, but I can't get excited over an almost 80-year-old Harrison Ford coming back.

(And while I'm here, I've always been surprised at people's dislike of aliens in Crystal Skull. I thought they fitted well and seemed a lot less jarring and silly than the immortal knight in Crusade. And nuking the fridge was no sillier than the dinghy dive or the mine cart leaping a chasm.)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Kathleen Kennedy: We would never make Indiana Jones without Harrison Ford. Having just finished the fifth movie, I can tell you, there wasn’t a day I wasn’t on set where I wasn’t like, ‘Yes — this is Indiana Jones.'

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
This is like saying we would never make James Bond without Sean Connery. Even from a buisness point of view, isn't this unreasonable to say?
I don't think so. She doesn't say that they won't make more Indy movies or movies from the world of Indiana Jones, they'll just focus on a new character so they can keep pumping out movies or streaming shows and making money.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
This is like saying we would never make James Bond without Sean Connery. Even from a buisness point of view, isn't this unreasonable to say?
They've worked up a digital 3D model of Ford, and have him in a secluded location recording hundreds of hours of dialogue that can be plugged into any new films that may come out after he retires.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I think this was a foolish thing to say. Yes, Ford has played the role for 40 years now, and yes, he's an icon. But Sean Patrick Flannery did an admirable job in the TV show, and there are any number of younger actors that could take over for Ford in feature films. As you point out, part of the fun of the James Bond series is seeing the different interpretation of the Bond character through six different actors over 60 years. What this says is that Lucasfilm will stop making and marketing Indiana Jones when Ford stops playing the role. Future leaders of Lucasfilm and Disney will no doubt reverse this decision.

I do not see Lucasfilm making a future film with an all-CG Harrison Ford, nor do I think they should.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I doubt it will ever happen but I wish they'd do an animated movie. You could have 40 year old Indy fighting Nazis again.
That would be great indeed. For some reason it is very rare to get an animated action film that is not primarily scifi/fantasy based. It would be great to get James Bond animated films also, but same problem there.

These days there is also the option to put a digitally de-aged 40 year old Indy in a live action film. Not sure which approach would cost more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks