What's new

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
And I find it hard to imagine people would want to pay to see that. I thought the chase through the jungle in Crystal Skull was absolutely horrible. CGI awfulness of epic proportions.
There's a difference between a scene that's largely created in CG and replacing a head. I'd bet most of the physical activity that Indy did in Crystal Skull was a stunt man but since they've pretty much perfected replacing heads or faces, the audience doesn't know that it's Harrison Ford's stunt man running, jumping, etc.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I don't believe that when a new actor comes, it will be Indiana Jones' son. It will be Indiana Jones and it will be a reboot.

Because if they follow his son, they have to go into the modern present day and that is a terrible idea for an Indiana Jones story. It should always be in the past. Maybe they can try World War One this time.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Because if they follow his son, they have to go into the modern present day and that is a terrible idea for an Indiana Jones story. It should always be in the past. Maybe they can try World War One this time.
Mutt is late teens, early twenties in 1957. Even if they introduced another younger child in Indy 5, that kid would probably be early to mid-twenties in the mid to late 1960s. So it still wouldn't be a contemporary story.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
In the segments of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles with the 99-year-old Indy, he had a daughter. Just sayin'.

The movie series could do worse than to take some cues from a great, if underappreciated, TV series.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
In the segments of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles with the 99-year-old Indy, he had a daughter. Just sayin'.

Those segments have essentially been deleted from the canon. They're not on the versions that air in syndication (if the show even airs anywhere anymore), and they're not available on the DVD. I think those actions are a pretty clear direction that those parts of the story no longer count.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Those segments have essentially been deleted from the canon. They're not on the versions that air in syndication (if the show even airs anywhere anymore), and they're not available on the DVD. I think those actions are a pretty clear direction that those parts of the story no longer count.

Well, they should. A daughter for Indy could be just the thing series needs to inject a sense of freshness and vitality. Heck, name her Lara and have her be English. I always figured she was his daughter anyway.

And it's a shame that the versions with the old Indy segments are not on DVD. I have the DVDs and I enjoy them, but there is no reason the original television episodes couldn't have been used.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Sam - no disagreement from me about the way it should be. I'm just reflecting on the reality that is.

I was so excited for those DVDs when they were coming out, but I've barely watched them. They're not the show that I remembered. Too often, they seem flat and lifeless, and the pacing is all over the place, and I think most of that is from them being edited from two separate episodes into a single feature. The first half rarely has anything to do with the second half, the pacing is negatively affected by the removal of the wraparound stories and commercial breaks, and I found them a chore to sit through. One of the most disappointing DVD releases I have. I've tried watching them by breaking them in half so that it approximates the original episode, but that's obnoxious to try to figure out too.

If they were to ever revisit the series and release them as they were originally broadcast, I will gladly repurchase.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I was so very confused when I started watching the DVDs. I'd seen many of the episodes on TV, so with the re-edited stuff I was simply baffled by the odd mini-movie format... and no eye-patch Indy.

Alas, I was bored.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
One of the most disappointing DVD releases I have.
The main feature should be thing but I think those DVDs are incredible simply due to the historical documentaries. Lucasfilm really did an amazing job on covering the real events and it's admirable that they spent a ton of money on them in the hopes that they'd be used in schools and libraries.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Guess I'm in a minority, but I loved the DVD releases of Young Indiana Jones. I actually don't mind the stories being merged into movies. I watched the TV show when it came out and I actually didn't really care much for the bookends with Old Indy. I guess that wasn't how I visualized Indy when he got older. I agree with TravisR, the documentaries that are included on the sets were worth the price of admission alone. I particularly like the War Years set, most of the segments are really well done.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Guess I'm in a minority, but I loved the DVD releases of Young Indiana Jones. I actually don't mind the stories being merged into movies. I watched the TV show when it came out and I actually didn't really care much for the bookends with Old Indy.
I caught an episode here and there when it aired but I don't really remember the old Indy segments so I can't miss or like what I haven't seen. As for the show, some of them felt really disjointed since they were stitching two episodes together but some work together. Overall, I enjoyed the series and whatever its shortcomings, it was impressive to see Lucas pushing the budgets and boundaries of TV. In terms of production, Young Indy was the Game Of Thrones of its day.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think the historical bonus features are amazing - but as I recall, the sets don't include a single scrap of footage or features on the making of the series, which was a disappointment.

The wraparound segments with Old Indy I could take or leave; it's more the smashing of the episodes together in often inelegant ways. For instance, when the pilot originally aired (which I somehow remember watching), it was a two hour show, and the first half features the child Indy beginning a mystery adventure which remains unsolved...until teenage Indy ends up encountering it again on an unrelated trip. It served to introduce both ages for Indy in the show, and was a pretty entertaining mystery at the time. Unfortunately, the DVD breaks this up, so the first half just ends without a resolution, and then several discs later, you get the other half in something else. It's just weird. I think that's the most egregious example, but on the whole, I really wish I had the option to watch the episodes in individual segments. I'd watch it more. When I watch a TV show (vs a movie), I'm often trying to fit something into a limited timeslot before bed, and the double-length Indys don't really into that. I can try to watch half, but finding the exact spot to stop can be difficult.

So I did like the historical bonus features, and I appreciate the effort Lucasfilm put into them to make them attractive to schools and libraries, but I'm not sure that anyone is really using them that way. I could be wrong, but I don't recall a big effort among educators to buy these sets - I hate to say it, but I think some of the work was done in vain.

Meanwhile, the sets don't include any features about the making of the show itself, which is a real omission. The show was technically groundbreaking in a lot of ways, including early uses of CGI and other digital tricks. Lucasfilm and Industrial Light & Magic experimented with a lot of techniques here that would be important to making the Star Wars prequels and other films. Perhaps this didn't need to be examined on an episode by episode basis the way the historical bonus features were arranged, but some kind of mention would have been nice.

Like I said, I find it a very frustrating set. The things that hit the mark are very very good, but there are so many components that are so close and yet hit the mark.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
So I did like the historical bonus features, and I appreciate the effort Lucasfilm put into them to make them attractive to schools and libraries, but I'm not sure that anyone is really using them that way.
Me neither but that would be a shame because while the episodes would probably be dated to kids today, I think they're better than the usual stuff you get to see in school and that could act as a bridge to get kids more interested in the documentaries. Some of the episodes dealt with moments in history that I was ignorant of and the episode actually gave me a point of reference while watching the documentaries which made them more appealing. If the docs could teach me something, I'm sure the average 10 year old could also learn too. :laugh:

Meanwhile, the sets don't include any features about the making of the show itself, which is a real omission. The show was technically groundbreaking in a lot of ways, including early uses of CGI and other digital tricks. Lucasfilm and Industrial Light & Magic experimented with a lot of techniques here that would be important to making the Star Wars prequels and other films. Perhaps this didn't need to be examined on an episode by episode basis the way the historical bonus features were arranged, but some kind of mention would have been nice.
Yeah, I remember that from somewhere. Maybe it was mentioned on The Phantom Menace documentaries?

Last edited:

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
For me, I don't care about whether it is child, grandchild, man, woman or reboot and whether it is set in the past or modern times. What I care about most is that whatever movie is created under the Indiana Jones name that it is as fun, entertaining, and as mildly intelligent as Raiders of the Lost Ark. We got a 'canon' movie that was KotCS. I'll take something better regardless of the particulars.

I'm less concerned about the canon of the IJ universe because I enjoy IJ like movies such as The Mummy with Brendan Fraser and King Solomon's Mine with Richard Chamberlain although that was a little too campy.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Haven't seen this mentioned here, but this is a great interview with Harrison Ford, in which he talks about the new Blade Runner, new Indiana Jones and his present Star Wars career.

https://www.gq.com/story/harrison-ford-gq-cover-story-2017

In fact, right at this very moment, as we sit here in his Santa Monica aircraft hangar, Ford's phone beeps with a text message telling him the new script is ready for him to read. He hopes it might happen in the second half of next year.

I ask him what this new Indiana Jones movie will need to be in order to have him fully engaged.

“Funded,” he replies.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So what is the working title for this film? Indiana Jones and The Golden Walker of Croesus?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks