What's new

In the market for a nice pair of sunglasses (1 Viewer)

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
I'm looking to buy some sunglasses. The darker the tint the better because I am a lifeguard and it gets very bright, and squinting becomes a pain if I have to do it for an entire shift. Polarization is a big plus because it takes the reflections off of the water. Is there anything anyone recommends? I'm willing to spend into the $100-150 range, but cheaper is always better :)

I'm basically looking for a pair that looks nice and is going to hold up well.

Thanks in advance.

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator
I've always been a fan of Ray-Ban Wayfarers. Until just recently, I had had the same pair for six years. They're durable, quite dark and you're set if you ever have to play with a blues band :)

De

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
They generally have sort of amber tints which aren't very dark, but you may like Serenghetti. Hands down the best sunglasses I've ever owned and I've been able to get samples of many brands from my uncle whose company does the printing for the retail boxes the sunglasses come in.

They make a gradient lense that might be good for lifeguarding. Worth checking out.

Craig

Second Unit
I went into Pearl Vision years ago and had a pair made for me. They will fit you for the frames just like regular glasses and you can specify what you want, like polarized lenses etc.

James E

Stunt Coordinator
Ray-bans are good for driving or walking around, but if you are going to be moving a lot the frames go lose and start to rattle. Oakleys are comparable in price, i've had my square wires(RX) and m frames(contacts) two or three years and they are holding up great.:D Good luck in your search.;)

james

P.S.
Oakley

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
I've been an Oakley fan for a long time. I'm on my fifth pair since 1997. I started off with the plastic frame wraparound glasses but graduated to smaller, wireframed sets as I've "matured", you could say. I just got a new pair this past week and they're my favorite so far. The style is "Half Wire", an open frame style with slightly larger than normal lenses. I got black frames with gold lenses. The gold looks more like black unless the light shines directly through them. And they're fantastic in the sun. IMO gold tint is even better than black for negating glare. I've had glasses with black, gold, blue and red tinted lenses and prefer the gold. They cost $150 from Sunglass Hut.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I got a pair of Revo which have been great. They are polarized, with some other goodies I am not that sure about. Needless to say, they are better then the couple pairs of Oakley's I owned before obtaining this pair. A bit pricey at about $250 a pair, but well worth every penny I paid (I only say this because my girlfriend works at Lens Crafters and got the glasses for free as her annual free pair)

J

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit
You should be able to pick up a pair of Costa Del Mar shades for ~125 dollars. They are polarized and very lightweight.

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
Mark,

Here's a few thoughts for you as I just went through a sunglasses buying process for an upcoming trip I have to Destin, FL. First off, I have a very nice (re: expensive) pair of Revo's that are polarized and I will probably own until I'm old and decrepit. Well, these are a little pricey to be wearing around the beach and for playing golf. I picked up the Oakley half jacket golf package. For about $180, you get a black half jacket frame and 3 sets of interchangeable lenses. One is designed specifically for playing golf. It is very similar to a polarized lens, and they did make a difference while playing. The frames are very durable and the it's expected that the lenses will get wet. Oakley makes some polarized sets of shades also, and I think they start around $150. Oakley frames come with a lifetime warranty I believe. Now, I would also suggest checking out Maui Jim and Bolle, who also have polarized lenses that are reasonably priced. But, I think I got a fair handshake from Oakley in the setup I bought. Also comes with a semi-hard carrying case for everything. Best thing is to just go up to a sunglasses hut and start trying stuff on. Kind of like listening to speakers. Have to start auditioning.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
I tried a pair of Revos and liked them a lot, but for $250 I'd be that much more paranoid about scratches or losing them.. No doubt they're better made than Oakley, though.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
another nod for ray bans, I don't do plastic lenses, period. If it isn't ground glass, I don't buy them. For sure go try them on at the mall or w/e and buy them online, no reason to pay the extra third in cost.

James E

Stunt Coordinator
Philip, i used to say the same thing, one day i was driving up I-77 with my windows down, luckily the rock just chipped the lens. Now i stick with the Polycarbonate;)

james

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
well, I've crashed motorcycles face first in the dirt and I'm still wearing the same pair ;)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
actually, I've wrecked twice in them, I got rear ended once also (on a bike)

they've also seen quite a few flight hours, where the UV protection really is nice, get up above the lower layer of dust and crud and it's FREAKIN bright. Perhaps given my luck on 2 wheels in them I should retire them from flying duty :)

Oh I'll also add if they DO break, rayban is excellent about repairing glasses, my old man has worn the same frames for 10+ years in some cases.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I have 4 different pairs of Oakley's and am a big fan of the company. They are extremely light, durable, and cover your entire spectrum of vision. They have different lenses for different activities (driving, golf, skiing) and are very versitile.

However, if I am going to an outdoor happy hour or socializing in mixed company (basically if I want to get the attention of the ladies;) ), then I will wear my pair of Revo's I got about 7 years ago. I wish the Revo's were darker and covered more of my face, but damn they look cool.

There are quite a few good manufacturers out there though, so I would suggest you get into a Sunglass Hut and try a bunch of styles.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I would recommend the Maui Jim. Probably the best polarized lenses out there. I love em! I can't remember what model mine are, the Wailea or something like that. Basic carbonite lenses with plastic frames. You can go to the titanium frames as well which, when you wear them, it doesn't feel like there's anything on, very light.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks