What's new

In the lastest issue of The Perfect Vision, the Yamaha 1400 is reviewed (1 Viewer)

Joe_on

Stunt Coordinator
IN the review it talks how the Yamaha 1400 offers the DSP cinema cicuitry which creates enchanced soundsfields by adding a pair of "L/R" presence speakers that compliments the front, center, subwoofer and back surround speakers.

I wanted to make sure that I was using this feature. I assume that when I am watching a DVD and the receiver DSP shows enchanced surround sounds that this feature is engaged. But Im not sure.

The short question is , how do I take advantage of this feature or Am I assumming right that the feature is already engaged when it is the mode of enchanced surround sounds?

TIA

Darren Bremner

Auditioning
I assume you have some presence speakers hooked up to these terminals. They should be above and to the outside and a bit behind the main speakers widening the sound field (the top corners of the room are good). There are a couple of things to watch out for. First the system has to know they are there. So if they were added later, and no auto setup has been done since then, make sure they are turned on. Next the the system only has 7 amplifiers so it doesn't do rear surround and presence at the same time. There is an option as to which one has precedence. This should only come be a problem on DTS ES and Dolby ES discs or if you use Prologic IIx.

Joe_on

Stunt Coordinator
actually, the article says that this feature gives the illusion of having presence speakers when you dont actually have them , thus giving a more full and depth sound.

Darren Bremner

Auditioning
I have the Yamaha 1400 receiver and for the first 3-4 months didn't have presence speakers. I used a lot of the DSP modes and if they were trying to give the illusion of having presence speakers they were not doing a very good job of it. Having the actual speakers is way better.

Joe_on

Stunt Coordinator
Excuse my ignorance, what are presence speakers? where did you get them.

Darren Bremner

Auditioning
They are not any special type of speaker. I just used a small set of bookshelf speakers. In my case since the rest of my system were AAD speakers I just got a set of C100i speakers. They are not run very hard. The amp feeds to them things that are behind the sound stage to them. I am not sure how Yamaha seperate these things out and desides what to send to them. But anything that seems to be in the distance comes from them, someone calling from the distance etc. It is much harder to localise where the sound is coming from and sounds like something behind the front speakers than something quiet coming from the front speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks