What's new

In regards to Superman and Batman I had a thought of a film (1 Viewer)

Scott_D

Stunt Coordinator
With the history of the Batman films, the current strife regarding the new Superman movie, and continuous rumours of movies about Green Lantern and Wonder Woman, I had a thought of road that WB could take.

What if they made a movie about the Justice League of America.

You would have the seven main DC superheroes. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Green Lanten, Aquaman, and the Martian Manhunter. All joining forces to take on some Earth conquering enemy, probably Darkseid.

If WB could pull it off it would be the perfect springboard for individual films for all the main characters. Of course you would have to tone down Superman and Batmans screen time. This would be and ensemble cast. Not just another Superman movie with Superhero cameos.

Imagine the merchandising prospects. With a Batman movie you get to make Action figures of Batman and maybe a villian or two. But now you would have seven main characters, plus several villians.

All WB need to do is get an experienced and popular comic book writer to write the story, a competant director to direct, and the money would roll in.

THis would then lead to WB being able to have sequels set the future telling the story of "Kingdom Come". A graphic novel miniseries that is one of the best comics I've ever read.

Of course, Warner Bros. would get greedy start churning out movies with less and less credible stories, have that Akiva Goldsmith (I can't remember his name, but you know who I'm talking about) doing the writing duties, shumacher directing, and everythign will seem like deja vu.

However in my mind it would be a great film. If only I owned Warner Bros.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure how well a "superhero universe" movie would do. Part of the appeal of most of the really successful superhero movies - Donner's Superman, Burton's first Batman, Raimi's Spider-Man and Darkman (along with TV superhero shows like "Buffy" and "Smallville") is that they take place in a recognizable world. You put a superhero in every city and supervillains on every street corner, and you start to lose the connection with the audience. I liked Mystery Men and Sonnenfeld's "Tick" show, but a lot of folks I knew just couldn't get into them. One superhero, who was something special, they could handle; it was too big a leap to imagine them as a regular feature of 20th/21st Century life.

(Ironically, these people have no problem with a bunch of short people taking a seeming eternity to get rid of a single piece of unwanted jewelry. Go figure)

Plus, there's the "hellaciously expensive" aspect.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
I liked Mystery Men and Sonnenfeld's "Tick" show, but a lot of folks I knew just couldn't get into them.
That probably has less to do with multiple "superheroes" than with the characters in question. I don't know anything about "Mystery Men", but "The Tick" is to any of the JLA members as "Zippy the Pinhead" is to "Peanuts".

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I don't think a JLA film would work. The biggest problem would be getting the audience to accept characters that they are already familiar with in roles that are completely different. Batman + Robin was frowned upon by many because it wasn't anything like the Tim Burton version. Any JLA film would suffer the same fate.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Batman + Robin was frowned upon by many because it wasn't anything like the Tim Burton version. Any JLA film would suffer the same fate.
Batman + Robin was frowned upon because it was a pile of shit the size of Jennifer Lopez's ass. Because it was a campy non-story with more one-liners than conversations. Because... Because... God, I can't even say it... BECAUSE BATMAN AND ROBIN CLICKED THEIR HEELS TOGETHER AND BLADES POPPED OUT! I MEAN, WHAT THE FREAKIN HELL GIVES, SCHUMACHER???? :angry::angry::angry:
Can you tell I mildly disliked the movie? ;)
A JLA film would work just fine, provided the characters are, you know, developed and 3-dimensional.

Matt Wooten

Second Unit
honestly i think a WELL-written JLA movie would work no doubt. see with that you have so many heroes (and villains for that matter) that people want to see. suppose someone likes green lantern and wants to see a lantern film.. well they pay seven-fifty and bam they get to see one of their faves. in a bigger role than just showing up in some guy's funeral (not that that would ever happen knowing warner). personally i don't think those people could get it to work script wise but if they can.. the box-office numbers would show just how bad people want to see this kind of film.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
I don't think a JLA film would work.
See the animated "Justice League" film, which works just fine (in spite of the liberties it takes with the origins of the League and Martian Manhunter).

Perhaps an animated Superman or JLA film is the way to go. After all, "Batman: Mask of the Phantasm" was a lot better than the live-action Batman films. With an animated film, it also presumably would be easier/cheaper to show really large-scale, high-energy battles in a believable way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks