What's new

IMAX "Special Effects" - will we EVER see it? (1 Viewer)

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I wonder about this title now and then. Will we EVER see it on DVD?

Mike

Paul Seward

Agent
ditto

I was just doing some research on this topic yesterday and was going to post this very same question today. Man that is really wierd!

Paul

Gruson

Second Unit
Since Lucasfilm is involved with it a bit, I would say...

NO

I would like to see it again though.

Jeff_P

Stunt Coordinator
I remember seeing that in NJ at the Libert Science Center. It was great. That opening scene from Star Wars was incredible.

It great to see other people are thinking about this title. Since I just received the Imax 3-D set this title has been popping up in my head alot. Too bad they didnt make it in 3-D.

Is this film still being shown anywhere?

Jeff_P

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
I e-mailed the company that made that movie a long time ago (forget their name now), and asked the same thing. They e-mailed me back and said that it probably would not see a DVD release ever due to rights issues. All of the scenes from Hollywood films seen in the release had rights secured only for an IMAX presentation. They would have to re-secure the rights to all that footage for a home video release and since that is where things get even more complicated......it just would not ever happen. So, they were not even going to try.

I'll try to find the e-mail in my archives, but it was a long time ago.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Is it true that theaters that show IMAX films buy the film out-right? I heard that, but damn..WHERE WOULD YOU PUT IT?

Anyway, my point is that if theaters DO store them, then maybe there's a chance it's shown a few times in the year.

I, too saw it at the LSC. I'd love to see it again.

Mike

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
This is a shame... a very good IMax flick, if I recall.
I sorta had my own special effects going on, when I saw this, though.
Let's just say that if you are even mildly hung-over, you should never go to an OmniMax theater. Things can only get worse...
:rolleyes

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
At the theater I work at we can either purchase our own prints from the actual producers of the film or rent (or whatever) a film from another theater (not sure how that all works).

Keep in mind that that is with a normal IMAX movie, I'm pretty sure things are quite different when it comes to the Disney stuff like Fantasia2000 and Beauty and the Beast.

Paul Seward

Agent
Back in august I set up a showing of this film at our local Imax theater for our local Star Wars fan group. It only costed us $250 for the viewing. So we ended up selling tickets at $9 a pop and ended up breaking even. Although we did have to see it at 9:00am on a saturday morning.

It was really great. Give your theater a call to see if they could work somthing out and provide a group showing like ours did.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks