What's new

I'm thinking about painting my JBL L40's black. (1 Viewer)

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
All the components in my system are black including my center, rears and sub. My L40's are oak veneer with a medium blonde finish. When it comes to woodwork I am a novice. But, I don't think refinishing the wood will be that big of a problem. Any suggestions on what type black finish I should go with? I was hoping to use some type of spray paint to keep things easy and avoid brush marks. Also, should I use spray paint for the cloth grilles? Can someone suggest a site for this type of DIY project. Thanks!

Kevin Parker

Stunt Coordinator
Its very easy, I painted my speaker in black oak couple of weeks ago and it looks good. I used brush though and if you buy stain, there shouldnt be any brush mark anyways. and for the site go to http://www.diy.net

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Thanks for the link Kevin! Did you have cloth grilles to paint as well? If so, how did you paint them?

ken thompson

Second Unit
I would use black stain so the wood grain is still visible. I think this would look much better. Kinda like the wood cabinets some of the high end RPTV manufacturers use. Like Pioneer.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
hmmmm.....I never considered black stain. I wonder how many coats it would take and if it would be less sanding?

ken thompson

Second Unit
Come to think of it, it would likely be more sanding since the cabinets probably already come with some form of clear coat on it. To paint all you need to do is sand a little and primer first. For the stain to soak in you will need to get rid of all the clear coat first. Probably more work that you'll want.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Since I'll be doing this all by hand, I think your right. Would any type of paint finish(satin, semi-gloss etc...)allow the wood grain to come through?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks