What's new

I'm still being nabbed by identity theft!! (1 Viewer)

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
About three months ago I was the victim of Identity Theft. Yes, I know I should have protected myself quite a bit more, but unfortunately what's done is done and I need to take further measures so that my entire life isn't ruined by this.

It's gotten to the point right now that I am getting collection notices (only one so far) for a check that was written in October (the same day of the robbery). For those that don't recall, my checks were in the glove compartment and God knows what else. Anyway, I called and explained the situation and the collection company wants me to fax them a copy of the police report.

That's fine with this, but what REALLY makes me angry is that the chain that accepted my check (Domino's Pizza) should have been checking for a driver's license. The copy of the check that was sent to me clearly SHOWS that the signature is NOT mine, and that the driver license information they presented was accurate. However, I HAVE my driver license and by doing a simple check this could have been avoided.

I even went in to my bank today and asked if there's anything I can do to stop checks from being written on my CLOSED account. They said unfortunately the only thing I can do is go to the police.

Is there any legal recourse I can pursue against Domino's Pizza on this for not following protection procedures that should have been in place? I just don't want other people to suffer the same fate, and I learned from the collection company that this is NOT the only incident of this happening with Domino's Pizza.

And BTW, I haven't ordered anything from Domino's Pizza in months.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Whatever.

If Domino's delivered it, they should have the address. The check should have had the address on it too. That's really sloppy on their part. They should know what driver was working that night, and at the worse, maybe the driver would remember where he went, but isn't all of this stuff in the computer at Domino's?

The internet card use is a bad too, and I came up with a wild idea. When you submit your card number to a site for payment, they run it through to see if it is valid. That would have to go through your own bank, so why couldn't your bank send you an email to verify the purchase?

You'd open up the email, reply yes, and send it back. The card gets an approval. This would mean a longer wait for clearance, but what are the holes in my idea?

Glenn

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
David Lawson wrote:

But how do I know that Domino's even delivered it? What if it was a check that they presented when they picked up the pizza? If this thief were smart, he wouldn't have it delivered in the first place.

*sigh*. Another trip to the police station to update the report I filed in October. This thief is beginning to annoy me. :angry:

All that hard work I did building up my credit history and it's now being destroyed. :angry:

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
At one time I kept my cheques in the car glove, so handy to have there. Then one day I realized (I think I may have read it here at HTF) that this was a terrible idea and what would happen if and when they were stolen. I then took them out and keep them half hidden in the house.

As for legal actions against Dominoes I think that would be fruitless, at least at this particular time. It still doesn't change the fact that some scum bag is out there using whats yours. I'm sure as time goes on you will run into more companies that should have looked into matters a little more deeply. I would invest your time in following the paper trail being left behind from the crook and at least for the time being not worry about company procedure and what you can do legally. Whats done is done, as you have said.

And for what its worth, Dominoes is disgusting.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Michael Hein wrote:

After thinking about it a bit more thoroughly, I do agree with your advice. I guess I'm going to have to live with this and keep myself on top of what this scumbag is doing. It really gets me mad but...there's not much I can do beyond that but keep on top of things.

Thanks, Michael!

aaron campbell

Second Unit
Have you contacted TransUnion to put a fraud alert on your credit report? Thats the first thing you needed to do. They will also contact the other 2 agencies. You will get free credit reports from all 3, and instructions on how to go from there.

Aaron

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Idiot me! I didn't consider a pick-up. Anyway, if that account is closed it shouldn't affect YOUR credit history. I'd make sure that all 3 of them get a copy of that police report. Have the agencies checked again in a month.

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks