What's new

I'm REALLY mad now - - the car burglary (or robbery, whatever) isn't over!! (1 Viewer)

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
I need some SERIOUS HELP here! Some folks here might remember the post from a couple weeks ago that my car was broken into. Well, it seems that there was some information in my car that was...well, it shouldn't have been in there in the first place. NOW...someone is using my information fraudulently!!

Here's what's happened so far. I won't list specific cards because I'm far more careful and cautious about my personal information right now. But here's what's happened in a nutshell:

#1: On one of my credit cards: They tried making a payment using a check that was bounced (as I had changed my banking account and closed the old one after the break-in, thank GOD!!!) and ended up with a $25 returned check fee on my credit card account. So this means they got a hold of my checks. THANK GOD I CHANGED MY CHECKING ACCOUNT AND CLOSED THE OLD ONE!!!

#2: On that same card, they changed the Address to someplace in Santa Ana and the e-mail address to something else. I have all their information (hopefully) and it's going to the police tomorrow.

#3: On one more credit card: they made a payment over the phone (successfully). And I have NO IDEA how they were able to do this. I know it's kinda weird with me complaining about someone else making a successful complete payment on my card, but I don't want my credit report messed (I'm very pissed right now and I'm trying hard not to use a few choice four letter words here) up because some ninny decided to go on a spending spree. And I don't want to be under suspicion for any fraudulent activity (as I've never nor would want to ever perform such activity).

This is such bullshit. The credit card companies are no help either: Call us on Monday and we'll be able to help you. BULL!!! I want this resolved NOW so I don't have to go through MORE BS on Monday after the crooks go on a weekend shopping spree!!

Why aren't fraud departments open late on the weekends? You'd think they'd be more interested in keeping their customers than losing them over handling fraud and identity theft poorly!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Mary M S

Screenwriter
You did close all credit cards which were in the car? Your credit card Co can maintain your account and send out new cards, but the old ones will not work at the next machine. You do not have to wait till Monday. Request new cards sent out, you will have to live without them till replacement cards on your exsisting account come in mail.

Watch out for future new accounts opened on your personal informatin obtained via the car. Check out all web resources on how to spot this early and minimize damage to your CR if it occurs.

aaron campbell

Second Unit
Call TransUnion 1-800-680-7289 immediately and put a fraud alert on your credit report. They will also contact the other two agencies.

Scott Bourden

Second Unit

I wish somebody would steal my CC :frowning:

That was tasteless, I apoligize, hope you get everything straightened out.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
About the payments - I am just guessing here, but if I make a payment on another card, I can change the default cardholder or get another one with my name on it?

Anybody know for sure?

At any rate, you should have a phone number you can call to report them stolen. If a company told you to call back on Monday, call back on Monday and cancel the thing!

Glenn

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
not sure.
the only thing I can think of is they tried the card, it was declined, so they think it's maxed out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks