What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

I'm REALLY finished with public theaters (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

Most are good, some have been bad. The annoying part is that you can't tell how it will be.

I've seen 4 movies theatrically this year: X-Men 2, Daredevil, Hulk and Terminator 3, only because I could not wait for them to come out on DVD. On X-Men 2 there was a screaming baby for a while but after about 15 minutes or so that stopped. Last night on T3 there was a cricket in the theater (DAMN that was annoying!) and the dialogue sound was so muffled that after a few minutes I walked out and went to the screening that started 30 minutes later instead. That one was perfect, probably because there was only about 10 of us there.

The picture quality on these movies have been flawless, absolutely spectacular in fact, better than any reasonably priced HT could give. The sound has been very good, but even my cheap system has sound almost as good.

However, at least at home I know what I can expect, and that is most often worth the loss of picture quality and the other drawbacks of watching at home. Sadly. Because a good movie in a theater still can't be beaten at home :).

Chuck Stephens

Stunt Coordinator

While I will admit to Imax being the end all be all of film projection I was actually referring to the 5 perf 70 mm films. Most of these were blown up from 35 mm negatives however there were a few filmed in 65 mm. Unfortunately 70 mm exhibition prints have fallen by the wayside in the past few years as more and more people shout the praises of digital projection.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
actually the extreme screen projectors are fairly cool too, IIRC they have to blow air on the gate to keep the print cool.

there's a couple different ways to blow up 35mm they say (in the case of IMAX 15/70 anyway) I caught reloaded on an IMAX showing and it was darn impressive.
70mm prints and projectors are pretty rare :frowning:
even when we'd show classics they were on 35mm and in a FUNKAY aspect ratio. Never seen a true 70mm myself, but gone with the wind in 35mm just didn't impress me.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
movie ticket $12,
parking $4
large bag of popcorn $8,
large Coke $6,
watching movie in a movie-theatre... pointless.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The only movie theater I know of where you pay for parking is an arthouse in the middle of town. If you object to he food prices, don't pay them.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Of course you are using Canadian dollars (I presume), but my theatre going experience is very different.

Movie ticket: $5.50 (Saturday or Sunday matinee)

Parking $0.00 (this is for all of the theatres I attend—including three different art houses)

Large bag of popcorn $0.00—I’m there to concentrate on the film; not eat.

Large Coke $0.00—Again, I don’t bother, as I’m there to watch the film.

Total cost of the movie per person: $5.50

Combine this with a civilized lunch, including a glass of wine or a beer either before or after the film and then perhaps a bit of a stroll around the shops. This makes for a very pleasant afternoon with my wife (I don’t count the cost of the lunch as I have to eat anyway).

A lot more fun that just sitting at home.

But hey, different strokes for different folks.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Of course you are using Canadian dollars (I presume).
Yep! Regardless, I don't buy food for movies. However, I have to pay for babysitter. Couple that with (mostly) rude moviegoers and too-loud sound system. I'd wait for the DVD.

After all, screen-size vs. watching-distance ratio, my screen is THX compliant based on their size/distance formula.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
movie ticket $12,
parking $4
large bag of popcorn $8,
large Coke $6,
watching movie in a movie-theatre... pointless.
Of course you must be exaggerating?

Movie ticket $12.00 (Try a matinee, it's about $8)
Parking $0 (Since when do you pay for parking at a movie theatre? I can't think of one theatre in Ottawa that charges for parking.)
Large popcorn, Large drink, free chocolate bar combo with free refills. $11.00 (I really don't know where you go to the movies, nor do I want to.)
Waiting in line for an hour to see XMen 2 on opening night with all of your friends.... priceless! :D

I agree that it can still be expensive but I find the experience more than worth it. IMHO

The above prices are in CDN funds.

James L White

Supporting Actor
I hate going to theaters too, let me list some reasons

sticky floors ever heard of a mop??!!
people talking- shut up!!!!!!!!
uncomfortable seats
bad picture/sound

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Matinee: can never go at those hours.

Parking: When I used to go to Paramount down town, I always had to pay since the free parking is always full

Concessions, I exaggerate because I don't eat/drink while I watch any movie. In the theaters or at home. Therefore I don't know exactly how much, I just know that they are expensive.

Also with waiting in line and such. I used to spend (including travel time) 3 to 3.5 hours for a 90-minute movie. It's just not worth my time and money (3 to 4 hour of baby sitter plus movie ticket plus cost of transportation totals easily around $50).

Rather than doing that, I watch the movie at home (rent, most of the time, $6 including taxes from Ball Busted), watch the movie with my kid, use the saved time to work and earn another $50-$100, in the worst case scenario, I'm saving $95 to $145 for each movie I watch at home. No theater experience worth that much.

of course, this doesn't apply to most people.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
David, you are correct.
Next we'll be seeing how much it costs in gas to drive to the theatre. ;)

Just kidding. I know that once my baby arrives I'll be watching a lot more movies at home. Which of course, I also love doing. (Especially since I'm upgrading) :emoji_thumbsup:

David Susilo

Screenwriter
:D :D :D :D :D ROTFLMFAOOAOA!!! :D :D :D :D :D

With the price gas in Canada? I need a second mortgage just to pay for gas!

My above statement does not apply if my daughter wanats to go to the movie theatre, though. I'll be more than glad to take her. After watching about 3 shows (at three different ocassions), my (now) 4.5 yo daughter decided to not go to the movies anymore, she claims (which I agree) that the sound is just too loud and the wait before the movie starts too long!

:D :D :D good kid! :D :D :D

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Movie - usually around $6
Parking - $1 (only one theater, it's downtown and parking garage is right next to it)
Food and drink - $0 (most of the time, food and drink pretty much only on a second viewing)

So it adds up to $7 max, and the one with parking opened up in fall 2001, all 8 theaters THX certified with Dolby Digital sound, haven't had a bad experience there yet.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
God, I don't know where some of you people go, but I have two favorite theatres in my area, the Eden Prairie 18 in the new Eden Prairie mall (where they filmed Mallrats, for those interested, but the mall looks COMPLETELY different now...) which is a wonderful theatre, a little on the pricey side, but I have yet to have a bad experience there.

The other one is the MegaStar 14 at Southdale. I love that theatre...big seats, a little cheaper, and one of the more interestingly designed theatres (it's two levels.).

I love seeing movies in the theatre with a big coke and bag of hot popcorn...num!

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Nate, I used to go to the uptown theaters on lagoon and the other 2 blocks away whenever I was in MSP. Never ventured out beyond those two but both were nice. Caught one hour photo at the lagoon and far from heaven at the other down the way :D

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
I go to the theater on a regular basis, usually at least once a week (and I have nice home set up, front projector and all)

I would say that 90% of my theater are perfect, no complaints what so ever. 8% have a couple of annoying moments that I quickly get over. 2% of the time I have a bad experience.

I don't think I will ever stop going to the theater, I love the whole experience and can't imagine waiting for the DVD for certain films. Maybe I am blessed with good theaters in my area or maybe I am just far less picky than some of you.

Kevin-M

Agent
Most of my theatre experiences have been fairly good, especially my most recent viewing of Pirates of The Caribbean where the whole audience was really into the film and it brought back memories of the better theatre experiences in my life.

The worst I find though are the folks who laugh through the whole film, comedy or not, or the ones with the really loud and obnoxious laugh. I recently went and saw Owning Mahowny and the group of three or four people behind were constantly laughing through the whole picture. Myself and the stranger next to me were both thouroughly disgusted with this until I could take it no longer. I turned around and in my most condescending voice asked them "Hey, wow! Is this your first time at a movie too!! It's mine as well, and it's ever so confusing about which parts are funny and which parts aren't, I don't even know when to laugh. I guess you guys have that problem as well.... *snort*".

Suprisingly it actually shut them up. This was almost as satisfying as the time I was at a packed house and group of teenage girls decided to quite vocally comment on the film and make their own jokes. Finally some guy above me had enough and he stood up and absolutely screamed "Bitches, shut the FUCK UP!!". Everyone in the theatre launched in to furious applause. Most satisfying burn EVER.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Heh...a hot day in vancouver...

Trust me, Canadians aren't as angelic as you think they are.. they have attitudes and tempers just like everyone else:D

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
Last month when I saw Hulk the sound would cut out, it literally sounded like all speakers would cut out except either the center or right main, and it sounded like it had no tone, as if I too had cotton stuffed in my ears. This happened at least a dozen times and would last for as long as 10 seconds per time.

Here in Houston, Edwards Cinemas Greenway 24, and Marquee 23 are just about the best theaters (newest too, surprise), yet the sound cut out at the Hulk was at Edwards 24. Another popular theater here is AMC 30, but I hate that one, too many ghetto people, and by ghetto, I mean everything from rude, to acting out, to loud, to annoying, cell phones ringing, crying babies, and a "I'm gonna do whatever the hell I want, be annoying, and screw everyone else attitude". The Uncomfortable seats there (IMO) hurt my back. All 3 are $8 regular ticket price, but AMC is not worth that much to me. Edwards 24 is also and extra $2 for the parking, but tradeoffs, being in a nicer part of town, there are fewer rude people than anywhere else.

Still, despite all the high prices, the over priced food, and parking, when you do get to watch a movie with no incidents you see why nothing in the world will replace the theatrical experieince, even though in so many cases home theater is so much better, its nice to spend a night out at the movies (but without incident), know what I mean?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks