What's new

I'm putting a flat screen over a fireplace, are there any automated covering systems? (1 Viewer)

Chris Ranch

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Ranch
I'm building a new home, last one destroyed by fire. I've built a 3.5" recess for a 46" flat screen. We don't want to see a big black rectangle when we're not viewing it. What are my options? Are there motorized screen like coverings I can build in? A framed photo or painting that can be raised and lowered on cables from the ceiling?

Thanks,

Chris

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I saw one at a local HT store that was a one way mirror. I didn't know there was a TV there until the salesman turned it on. When the TV is off it looks like a mirror. When the TV is on, you see the picture. I didn't spend much time doing a total evaluation of the picture quality, but I remember it looked good.

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
If the recess is not already built, you may want to change that to a 50"

Even if that's not what you buy, there are a lot of people on these boards that regret building a custom recess - without any room for change

Even if you always have a 46", sometimes the speakers are on the side, sometimes on the bottom, some are deeper than others etc

Should be able to put a Large picture on a hinge - folds to the side

Chris Ranch

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Ranch
The one way mirror is an interesting idea. Was it dark in the showroom? I'm wondering if I'll get a good picture when it's full daytime...

Regarding the recess size, I'm limited by the outside edges of the firebox framing. No real choice if I want to recess, and I do.

Picture on a piano hinge, that sounds like a reasonable inexpensive option. No additional framing required.

Thanks, guys.

Now, what about a built-in motorized cover system, with fabric or something?

Chris

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
It was very bright. It was located in the front showroom right next to the store front glass. When I first went into the store, I thought it was just a fireplace with a mirror above it. The salesman hit the remote, and the mirror turned in to a TV. They also had some Stealth Speakers. I didn't even know they was a HT there until it was turned on. Looked good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks