What's new

I'm in the market... (1 Viewer)

Fredric

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in the market for a new DVD player. Is there a "master" list of recommendations somewhere, like an HTF consumer reports study? Or do I need to just ask, which one is the best for less than $500? I'd like it to play PAL, too, if possible, since I have one PAL DVD sitting on my shelf (Region 0), but then do I need a new TV, too, to play that? So many questions.

Thanks bunches!

Hector

Auditioning
Keep in mind that even if you have a DVD player that can play PAL formatted DVD's, you will also need a TV that can read the PAL signal. So it's what I call double suicide. Why, cuase it kills me to think that I have to do all that just to play a damn PAL DVD. Also I have read here and there about some PAL DVD players that can convert the video signal to NTSC so you won't need a PAL TV. But I have yet to find one.

On your question, I guarantee you will be better off in doing a search on the topic. I've been on this forum for a couple of months and have yet to ask a question because it's almost guranteed that the topic has been discussed to a great extent.

Regards.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Héctor is correct that you need a TV that also displays PAL. But there are some DVD players that will convert a PAL DVD to NTSC, so that you can use a North American, NTSC TV.

Malata makes several DVD players that do this. I think that they start at about $250.

david stark

Second Unit
Héctor is correct that you need a TV that also displays PAL. But there are some DVD players that will convert a PAL DVD to NTSC, so that you can use a North American, NTSC TV.
That is correct, I have an Arcam DVD player that will read all regions discs (PAL or NTSC) and you can choose the output as well (PAL or NTSC) so you can convert both ways. If you are playing a PAL disc and select the dvd player to output NTSC I don't think it will be a progressive output.

Fredric

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, scratch the PAL conversion part of my question. i think I'll wait to watch that PAL DVD until I get my DVD rom drive, down the road. So, what Region 1 players are people most happy with? My current JVC player does one of those hitching things near the end of a film, where it pauses for a few seconds and then plays again. I don't want a DVD player that does that. :)

Heath_E

Stunt Coordinator
My current JVC player does one of those hitching things near the end of a film, where it pauses for a few seconds and then plays again. I don't want a DVD player that does that.
I believe you are referring to a layer change. Most dvds are dual layer, and that "hitch", as you describe it, is just the player switching from layer one to layer two. Of course, players have gotten better at handling this, and some players do a better job than others, but all players will exhibit a slight pause when changing layers. The point is, there is nothing "wrong" with your current unit, other then the fact that it may be particularly slow when changing layers.

Also, does your tv accept a progressive input?

Fredric

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, I'm sorry, I should have made myself more clear. Definitely not the layer change. These are multiple pauses that range in length, usually occur during the second half of the film (usally for long films), and can be remedied by stopping and starting the player. A clicking sound sometimes occurs too, from the drive. It's acting like it's skipping, but inspection of disc reveals no scratches and reinserting the disc will not repeat the problem.

I'm not clear on the progressive scan deal. I know this is the wrong forum for it, but could someone briefly explain?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks