What's new

If you could go to universitiy... (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
We go to COLLEGE
Actually, old boy, we do in the UK as well, but normally we don't put it into upper case. ;)
A further question - is there a useful general guide to the different American colleges? There's an annual guide published by The [London] Times on Brit universities which is generally reckoned to be pretty good - is there the same sort of thing in the States?

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Well there's always the US News directory to start with:
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/cohome.htm The directory at this site boasts information on 1400 colleges and universities. It appears that a fee of $9.95 per year is required for the bulk of the statistical data.
Burton: are you interested simply in a college or in living where there are internships available during your school years? This will to some degree drive your decision. There will be lots of internship possibilities in Santa Clara county if you go to Stanford/Univ. Calif. Berkeley/Univ. Calif. Santa Cruz. Other cities you may consider may be Portland OR and Austin TX, although the latter has been hard hit by the recent economy. But if you are not interested in an internship or local networking, you may find the cost of living in Santa Clara county frightful.

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
I ended up leaving there in '87, then went to Full Sail, and after slogging it as an intern/assistant engineer for a year, heading off to sunny Iowa, where I finally finished at the University of Iowa. My friend actually graduated from there. It was sad how few people actually interacted on campus. It really was a commuter school back then (84-87) I lived in Fox Hunt for a while, then some other condos (forget the street names) but near the old frat houses (I was SAE there...) then back home in Longwood and commuting. It's sad, but I've lost touch with pretty much everyone from that period. I hope it's improved, but back then they had what must have been the lamest CS department. It ruined me for CS for a long time. Is the reflecting pond still dyed blue? I wanted that school to be better, I hope it is now.

Long live Barbarellas and Visage! (and if you're old school, Bowties, and JJ Whispers!)

Phil_O

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, it must have been so different then. There are about 40k students here now, we have 2 engineering buildings, and the 'commuter' reputation is not as prevalent anymore, as there are a lot of new dorms and student housing near campus. And if you wanna see the 'new and improved' reflection pond check out www.ucf.edu. :emoji_thumbsup:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Of course, nobody is mentioning how expensive most of these Universities are. I mean, MIT? We're talking scholarship or a ton of bucks. My alma mater, (Rochester Institute of Technology) is also a big technology (duh) institution, but I can hardly even recommend it considering how expensive it is these days. I'm sure there are plenty of other, more reasonable and really just as good places.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks