If you could go to universitiy...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by burton, Dec 18, 2002.

1. burton

burton Auditioning

...anywhere in USA?

I'm thinking about going to teh states after college to learn IT in university but US is VERY big country with SO many different opportunities so I'm not sure which state should I pick.. I'm thinkin about going to california.. silicon valley perhaps: Technology centre, as I've heard.

So, imagine that you are in the same position as I'm at the moment and want to got to USA. Which state and city would You choose?

Btw I live in London atm.

Thnx,
    burton

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Oh ... I'd choose Los Angeles, California. [​IMG]

3. Greg Morse

Greg Morse Stunt Coordinator

Oh I would guess silicon valley or Boston would probably be your best bets. I've lived in both and other than the weather, Boston wins hands down IMHO.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

We go to COLLEGE [​IMG]

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Pay no attention to Jack, Burton, as he can’t see the rest of the country due to the smog. [​IMG]
    Your first lesson in American (as opposed to English) is that we in the States often refer to attending a University as college.
    If you are considering coming here for IT education, I’d suggest that you make your selections from our Colleges and Universities, rather than from location. For example, not many outside locals would choose to live in Pittsburg, but it is the home of the very excellent Carnegie Mellon , which has an outstanding reputation in IT.
    There are several publications with extensive University listings, course and campus description and (sometimes) ratings. Generally considered the best, is one published by U.S. News and World Report. You can probably find copies in your college library (even in the UK).
    Good luck.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

if you want to learn about technology, i can think of no better campus then Cal Tech.
    they're located in pasadena, calif.
    http://www.caltech.edu/
    MIT is pretty sweet too. my brainiac cousin (3.997 gpa at berkley with honors and awards) got a full ride to that place for her masters!
    http://web.mit.edu/

7. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

The US News thing is a pretty silly rating. The bigger the university, the people that are employed at the companies they poll.
    For the most part, everyone already knows where things stand. (Harvard, good. Suffolk, bad.. etc.)
    MIT is the obvious choice here, but you have to be the right kind of person to enjoy it. It's also got to be the ugliest campus I have ever seen. There's ~50 schools in the greater Boston area, so if you go to one you hate, it's not too much trouble to transfer. It's a very fun city with a lot of young people too. It's not as warm and sunny as California though. [​IMG]
    Silicon Valley and the Boston 128 loop is where the tech concentration is in the US. It's pushed a lot of academia here (perhaps why all the super sucessful ones are in Cali, heh...) but that can be a great thing for someone going to school. I know plenty of people that have gotten jobs through college staff that consult for or founded companies.

8. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Why not come to beautiful Orlando, Florida? Ah, it is warm [​IMG]

9. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    If I were to do it all over again, I would probably go to University of Hawaii. Although I'm not sure if I would get much done in the ways of academics [​IMG] .
    Although education is the main concern, I would also consider other things too. For me I was glad I went to Purdue because it offered more than a smaller private college. Plus I love college football and basketball! [​IMG] I would check out any big ten school too. you can check them out at http://www.bigten.org
    But I'm biased!

10. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

11. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

For the quintessential US college experience, look no further than Penn State University (www.psu.edu). Penn State offers an excellent blend of quality academics, social activities, and athletics. I know it sounds trite, but there really is something for everyone at Penn State. [​IMG]

13. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

By saying IT, do you want to get an MIS degree, a CS degree, a Computer Engineering degree, etc? That will make a big difference in the schools that you should be looking at.
    MIT probably wins hands down for CS and CompE/EE, with Caltech not far behind. MIS is a trickier beast, your best bet is to either go with rankings or pick a school that has a strong business/management school as well as a strong CS program.
    No disrespect to my alma mater (Georgia Tech), but if I had to go to school again I'd go to Florida State. [​IMG]

14. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

Yeah, but UCF = U Can't Finish! (heh heh).
    Been there, done that! [​IMG]

15. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I guess I should put in a word for The University of Washington in Seattle since I work here (I went to The Evergreen State College though). We supposedly have a very good IT department and since Paul Allen and Bill Gates keep donating buildings and computers we have a lot of cutting edge stuff. Plus the campus is really close to everything so unlike a lot of places you don't feel cut off. If you're coming from England, the weather is about the same, if not a little better.

16. Mike Lenthol

Mike Lenthol Second Unit

Burton, if I were you, I'd spend at least a week vacationing around the campus and where you'll possibly live if attending that school. Get a feel for the people/environment.

17. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    I'd probably try out UCLA's film program. Or if I want to stay in my home town, Concordia University's film program. The presentation of the student film projects at the end of the year is always full of surprises.

18. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Another vote for MIT but good luck getting in! A more down to earth college with better out of state tuition rates [​IMG] is Penn State as mentioned above. For some reason or another it's pretty well known up and down the east coast.
    PS- Jeez just went to MIT's website, you'd think a college with that reputation would have something decent looking.

19. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

MIT's website has beatiful, plain old HTML, that works in any browser.

20. Dan Lindley

Dan Lindley Second Unit

MIT = substance over flash.

or should I say substance/flash?

d