What's new

"IF" Spielberg was to make another Jaws... (1 Viewer)

todd stone

Screenwriter
Would it work?

Now I know he will NEVER do another JAWS, nor will another JAWS in itself be made, but if it had a good plot, characters etc, would it still work with the shark these days?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The shark would probably be CGI if it was done today. I doubt anyone would attempt to make it with a mechanical model.

Perhaps he should just go back and "polish" the original with CGI as he did with "E.T." and Lucas did with the original "Star Wars." :D

And I wouldn't totally discount another "Jaws" entry if Universal thought they had a decent story.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Weren't there reports that Universal was going to make a film about the USS Indianapolis based on Quint's story in Jaws?

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
If it wasn't for the defective shark prop in the original movie, we wouldn't have that image of the shark maneuvering in the water based on the barrels floating around. This was a rare case where great drama was accidentally created due to an equipment failure.

A CGI shark would simply ruin all that great drama.

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
If they make a movie about the Indianapolis it would likely be based on the book "In Harm's Way." The book was fantastic, and it would make a great movie if done right.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
I'd rather see a movie version of Steve Alten's "MEG". It's bad science but still a fun action novel. I'd love to see a 50 foot Mega Shark.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

They tried and shelved it. My former manager brokered that deal and one of the last things we talked about before parting ways was that project was dead.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

I don't know how hard they tried but, yes, Disney abandoned the project and the rights have reverted back to Steve Alten.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
They did a tv movie based on the Indianapolis starring John boy from the Waltons.

Also, what is the story behind "MEG"? 50ft shark!

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
Oh, its a ridiculous premise, but basically Carcharodon Megalodon (prehistoric shark, thought to look much like a 40-100 foot long great white) have been living in the Marianas Trench. Some deep sea researchers disturb them or something, and one of them ends up making it to the surface and attacking everything in sight. Like I said, ridiculous premise, but still pretty fun in a bad movie kind of way. There were three novels in the series I believe.
Steve Alten's Website

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Actually, Spielberg stated in a Time magazine article that the first Jurassic Park movie was his Jaws sequel.

Steve Spin

Grip
Real Name
Steven Spinelli
I really think that a "new" Jaws movie would work...If done correctly. Anybody see a little movie called "Aliens"???
In the original "Alien" you didn't see the SHARK...I mean the ALIEN. In "Aliens" you know what the ALIENS look like...You just have to "Up The Risk"....

todd stone

Screenwriter
I for one would go see it. I am a JAWS buff and love all of them, YES even #4, though it is a "tad" over the top :D .

The problem with JAWS nowadays is not about the shark or the setting, it's finding the right cast and plot. The cast in the 1st was just fantastic and VERY hard to beat these days.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I must have been imagining that big ass thing that Ripley was fighting at the end and that mouth that kept lunging out at the crew members. Time to up my meds.:laugh:

One of the greatest things about Alien and Jaws is that you do not see the full shark/alien until the climax, a Hitchcockian device that keeps the suspense going until the final battle. But how anyone can think you NEVER see the monster I really cannot understand.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I think the improv sessions with Carl Gottlieb don't get their full due - Gottlieb's work with the actors led to so many great character moments...that's what was missing from Jurassic Park. The technology worked in JP, and Spielberg wrapped it ahead of schedule. The technology didn't work in Jaws, and rather than have his actors standing around scratching themselves, Spielberg assigned Gottlieb to do improv work with them to find character moments. This "co-creative" atmosphere led to what many believe is the best moment in the film -- the Indianapolis story (re-written by Robert Shaw). There's no "Indianapolis story" in Jurassic Park, just that terribly maudlin story about a flea circus, ending with a line that was already becoming cliche in 1993..."You can't think your way through this one, John. You're going to have to feel it."

Ugh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks