What's new

If I send in an MGM disk per the lawsuit and ask for the same movie as a replacement, (1 Viewer)

Justin:R

Auditioning
If I send in a DVD movie per the lawsuit against MGM and ask for the same title as a replacement, what exactly will be the difference?

Rumor: There is nothing wrong with the DVD itself, just a graphic on an insert.
If this were true, they would simply put a new insert into your disk and send it back. If it were just an insert, then ALL movies in the lawsuit would be able to be replaced. There are far fewer replacement DVD's than one's you can have replaced. If it is an incorrect graphic on the case, wouldn't they just sticker it?

Desire: The movie I want is currently in widescreen, but not anamorphic (when I play it on my 16x9 TV, I get bars on the top/bottom and left/right or zoom in to get huge pixels). I am hoping the replacement will be anamorphic.

I can't find any details on the web site that discusses the lawsuit, or on the documents they sent me to get replacement DVD's. I just want to make sure I am not an idiot for returning a movie just to get the exact same thing back, which is what others imply.

Sean Richardson

Stunt Coordinator

You're not an idiot for wanting the movie in anamorphic, but you'll probably feel like an idiot if you spend several months (you'll have to wait until the settlement is official, in May) waiting to get sent back exactly the same thing.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

This is not a rumor. Everyone, please read the legal document in question. In sum:

"The gravamen of Plaintiffs’ Complaint is that certain representations on the label and package insert of MGM’s widescreen DVDs are false and misleading because MGM’s widescreen DVDs for films shot in the 1.85 to 1 aspect ratio have the same image width as MGM’s standard screen format DVDs."

That's it. That's the issue. Not the DVDs. Not the transfers. Just the packaging and inserts. The Notice of Proposed Settlement even goes on to say:

"MGM’s widescreen DVDs are not defective or lacking in quality in any respect."

The end.

DJ

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Damin is quite right. The lawsuit is over the packaging, and the packaging only. Don't send in your DVD (unless you want to get the $7 for it).

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Not only that, the website with these statements and the list in question are a call for a class action suit. It has not even gone to court yet, and no decision has even been made. At this point, it is merely a proposal for a settlement. None of this may even happen (and it rightfully shouldnt).

MGM may have dropped the ball a couple times on some DVDs out there, but as a whole, I have been pleased with the effort MGM puts into their discs, which is more than I can say about some other, larger, studios.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks