What's new

IE7 Beta News (1 Viewer)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
According the official microsoft blog here's what we can expect in the next IE:

1) PNG alpha transparency. FINALLY. PNG is an image format of the future. It's a shame designers had to be limited to GIF for the same purpose.

2) "CSS bug fixes." Hopefully things like :hover can be applied to everything and not just links. Position: fixed should work too. Nothing stated about full CSS2.x support. :angry:

3) Tabs!

Probably the best news of all is that MS will NOT be integrating Internet Explorer into the OS shell. I think this is rumored for anything after IE7 though. IE causes way too many vulnerabilities and is the primary cause Windows is the least secure of all the operating systems out there.

Even with the new release, I plan on sticking with Firefox. Just as a designer knowing 80% of the world still uses IE, it's a relief to see MS is finally catching up on 5-year old display methods. I guess this means in 3 years when IE7 is the standard I can finally create drop-down menus without some added javascript code and other techniques just to make sure it'll work in the worst web browser available. :p)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Works great, no complaints yet :) The CSS and PNG problems are fixed, tabbed browsing works as it should, and everything is quick and speedy.

Download link

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the download link, Scott.

Just installed it and I agree with your sentiments: tabs are working nicely and all of the sites I've visited thus far are loading faster than in IE6 or Firefox. Seeing as this is only the Beta 1 release, I won't be conducting any online transactions through this (I have Firefox for that). So far, it looks promising.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Is anyone else having trouble with their Favorites?

I have more then one page worth of Favorites but the display stops at one page and won't let you go to another page.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks