What's new

I want a processor or receiver with pre-outs (1 Viewer)

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I have been scoping out some receivers with preouts and some processors to find the best deal. First priority is music, so no sacrifices can be made with 2 channel sound. I already have an older Rotel Pre/pro with pro-logic and no 5.1 analog input. I don't want to make a step down in stereo quality. It either goes up or stays about the same, if possible.

I also have a Carver 5 channel amplifier that I will continue to use if I get a receiver or processor. One of my questions is, especially concerning Outlaw's receiver and processor which are only $200 apart, I was wondering if they use the same processor. Both units have all the same appearance and inputs, and it seems to me the for $200 more I could have the internal amplifiers if I decide to use them for something.

Here is what I have looked at so far, no listening experiance with them just internet research.

Rotel RSP-1068 (MSRP:$1699)
Rotel RSX-1057 receiver w/preouts(MSRP:$1499)
Adcom GFR-700 receiver w/preouts(MSRP:$1999)
Adcom GTP-870HD(MSRP:$2499)
Outlaw Model 970 (MSRP:$699)
Outlaw Model 990 (MSRP:$1099)
Outlaw Model 1070 receiver w/preouts (MSRP:$899)
NAD T743 receiver w/preouts 5.1 only (MSRP:$699)

I just want some opinions on these and any other make and model you think meet the needs.

Some side notes, HDMI doesn't concern me and I have no set budget (though I won't likely spend much more that $1000 unless I think that it is something completely awesome.)

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil

Look for a used Bryston SP-1.7 (you can listen to the SP-2 the current model for music which has the same clean 2-channel and multi-channel bypass). When purchased under the appropriate conditions (you can look at the Bryston website - www.bryston.ca), it carries a 20 yr. warranty from the date of manuf. So if you're look at one 3 yrs. old - you still have a 17 yr. warranty. The SP 1.7 can be upgraded to the SP-2 and eventually will have HDMI if that is of interest. One caveat - it is a pure audio product and has no video switching or inputs.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I am confused here, what is HT bypass. Does that mean it has 5.1 inputs and outputs and no processor, because that would work very well. If that isn't what HT bypass is, please explain. I would very much like to have a preamp with 5.1 inputs and outputs with no processor, if such a thing exists.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil

Doug_

Stunt Coordinator
Seth,

You could buy a used Anthem AVM20 or AVM30 for about the same price as the Rotel units. I have heard the Rotel 1068 and 1098 and was not really impressed (I will note that these were not auditioned in my HT room however, but at the dealer).

I have also auditioned both the 970 and 990 in my HT room and the 990 is good for the money, but I would pass on the 970 (cheap construction and not near as good as the 990).

Haven't listened to anything from NAD lately, but they used to make some pretty nice gear. I never was a fan of Adcom, but this is just my opinion.

Basically, if I were in your shoes (and was a while back), I would say if you want to be done with things get a used Anthem. If $1500-$1700 is too much, then the 990 is the way to go.

mackie

Supporting Actor
I haven't heard any of those, so anything I say will be based simply on opinion...

From that list, Rotel 1086 would be first choice followed by Outlaw 990. I'd stay away from NAD because of a long history of QC issues. This may not be an issue anymore, but...

If you've got an amp you plan to use I don't see a need in buying a receiver.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
Many HT receivers have pre-outs. All HT pre-amp/processors will have pre-outs.

I don't understand your post, really. What is it you need? Multichannel analog inputs and pre-outs?

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
To answer Scott's question. The reason I want a processor with Multi channel inputs is so I can utilize them for TrueHD, and DTS-HD on a HD-DVD player or Blu-Ray player in the future. I want a processor or receiver that has a good analog stereo section, as well as good surround capabilities.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
Well, there are many HT receivers and processors with both multichannel analog inputs and multichannel pre-outs.

But aren't those new formats at least 8 channels (7.1)? 8 channel multichannel inputs AND pre-outs may be difficult to find.

Regarding a "good analog stereo section", don't you think the DACs in the player are going to be more important than the "analog stereo section" of the processor or receiver it's plugged into? If you're decoding with the player, then it's DACs become quite important to your stereo experience. Or will you decode stereo info with the processor/receiver?

I'm not saying that the quality of the processor/receiver will not be important, but many would argue that the most important thing will be the player's DACs if your going to simply be passing an already decoded analog signal through your processor/receiver's amp section.

Again, I'm not really understanding your goals.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I have a very good CD player, the Pioneer Elite PD-65, it was manufactured in 1992. Being that it is old, it has some weakness in the DAC section. While it may have been top of the line at the time it was made, it could be next to absolute among audiophiles. So far as the entirety of the player, it could serve very well as a transport using processor's DAC's. The Anthems Doug suggested have a very good DAC section. Just as well, if I have a record player in the future, I want the preamp/processor to have a good analog only section, none of this analog to digital conversion nonsense that is infesting the receivers these days.

Any more questions?

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
Does that CD player have digital output (coax or optical)? If it doesn't, you won't be using ANY processor's DACs to decode anything.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
he described it as "using it as a transport" so it may well have a digital out. seeing as there is perceived weakness in the DAC section - if it didn't have a digital output, it could be described as "brick" ;)

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
Yeah, I looked it up after posting and found that it did have digital output capability, both optical and coax.

So what he's really interested in then, regarding stereo playback from his player, is a pre/pro or receiver with good DACs, as well as multichannel inputs and pre-outs.

He has a lot to choose from.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks