What's new

I need some advice about DAC's in prepros (1 Viewer)

Keir H

Second Unit
I currently have a preamp that converts all incoming signals to digital. The DAC is a CS4226..now if I want to connect a better DAC with the purchase of a cd player, would I make the use of the DAC by goin analog? Or, will will my preamp converta that signal as well to dig, back to analog? I want to purchase an used good quality entry grade 'audiophile' cd player. Is this a good idea to go for one of these to get better sound than my dvd player playing cd's? SHould I stay with using my preamp as my DAC since I wont see an improvement with a players DAC's if the signal is converted all those times? I'm a little confused on how this works since I know I dont have an analog bypass..please help

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Since your preamp converts everything to digital then there is no sense to buy an expensive cd player only to bypass it's dacs or worse introduce another A-D-D-A conversion.

Keir H

Second Unit
No, Kevin it doesnt it doesnt have 5.1 ins either..its a EAD Encore and those in the know, know that the older ones have no bypass nor 5.1 ins :frowning:...so its fruitless to think that I'll take advantage of SACD or DVDA? Dont get me wrong its good to me now but I know it would be better with a much better source than a JCV 723 dvd player....any other ideas? thanks all...

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Keir- Taka a look around for a Sony TA-P9000ES. Very nice 5.1 analog preamp that was specifically designed to essentially add 5.1 inputs to a unit like yours. :)

Keir H

Second Unit
THanks Kevi, I have heard of these. I guess I have to find em used since I dont think Sony caries it anymore...thanks again..

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
Good luck finding a Sony TA-P9000ES. I am scouring ebay and audiogon everyday so you'll have to outbid me to get one:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks