What's new

I need help on where to hang the dipole surrounds... (1 Viewer)

Joe Ferrari

Agent
Here are some pics of my space. It's kind of a strange arrangement but it's what I have to work with. I was thinking of putting them where the dots are located.
The right surround is pretty straightforward but the left surround I have 3 options (A, B, C). Option A puts the left rear behind my head while Option B may get me divorced and option C seems far away.

Is location imperative with dipoles too or more of an issue with a direct speaker?

I truly appreciate any advice.

Joe

PS. I sit right in front of the light (if it matters)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
The point of a dipole is that they create a diffuse, hard to localize soundfield, but for that to work, you want to be located such that you are sitting in the the null between the two drivers. Normal placement is on the side walls, adjacent to your seating position, fairly high up.

Not sure I see how that is possible in your room, but I am not really clear on where the right surround is relative to your seating position. I am thinking C would put the left closest to your side?

I have not used Dipoles, so I can't really say how they will work in a less then optimal position, but I suspect that they will still do the job.

BGL

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Tough room for dipoles. I'd find some really tall boxes, or boxes on chairs to get the height you want(about 3 ft. above seating position)and move them around. No way I'd just guess and drill the holes to mount. The black dot and C is where I'd start.

You have a lot of distance available so I would consider monopoles matching your front speakers. Much better for music and very good for movies when you have the room you do for the sound to click into focus. Most folks today who go with dipoles do so due to a lack of room between the rears and the seating position. At the least I would try both types of speaker before I decided. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks