What's new

I need a new copmputer... (2 Viewers)

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Ok guys, I have a older Dell Pentium 2 400 which is in dire need of being replaced. I have been looking at Tiger Direct and found this computer .
I dont use the computer as a HTPC just internet, and some graphic editing. I do want a burner.
Any problems/limitations with this computer or has anyone had any problems with Tiger industries?
TIA
Earle
Ill take any suggestions for other PC's but the $ must be around the same as the above PC

Andre F

Screenwriter
I'm in the same boat as you. I have a P2 450 mhz and it just feels like a dinosaur. I've heard good and bad things about Tiger systems. The one bad thing I heard is that the build quality is not so good. Of course that was about 3 years ago and things could have changed.
-Andre F

KyleS

Screenwriter
TigerDirect usually uses the cheapes parts they can to build a system especially if you are looking at the bare bones. Another Dell would keep the cost down and is an excellent choice if you dont feel up to building one on your own (best value). If you do build one on your own then you could pick the components and are assured a quality machine in every respect.

KyleS

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
I've heard a lot of bad things about TigerDirect.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I'd get a Dell they are the only PC they use at my mom's job and they are also very reliable. Not to sound like that Dell kid or anything :D but you can hook yourself up with a Dell right now starting at around $750.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Duuuuude....;)
hehe, my suggestion, is to PM me and have me build you one. ^_^ (In all seriousness)
But otherwise, Dells are fine (getting worse these days, with the increase in customers), most likely you won't have a problem with any of the big manufacturers (Compaq, Dell, Gateway, Micron, AlienWare...well, AlienWare isn't so big).
But it wouldn't hurt you to shoot me a PM with what you're looking for, and I'll tell you how much I can get it for. ;)

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
I kinda want to stay away from Dell only because I want more flexability, I'd rather have more RAM and have a lesser video card. Dont need the great sound card, I just need 16 bit sound.

Building it myself is a option. Im not afraid to put the pieces together, but if there are unforseen problems I tend to get agravated quickly. So beinbg stable is a very big point with me. I curretly have WIndows 2000 Prof and love it. Never a blue scren seems to run all software I use.

Joe,

You got mail

Thanks for the suggestions and info on Tiger. Anymore ideas.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
k, Earle, I emailed you back...

As for your comments about Dell, don't think that you can't get what you want with them. I think they're a great company these days, and if you fool around with the customizations, you might find something you like. Also, there's always coupons floating around and deals popping up.

MikeM

Screenwriter
I dont use the computer as a HTPC just internet, and some graphic editing. I do want a burner.
I feel it's my civic duty as one of the Macintosh faithful to lure you over to the "dark side". :D
The new iMac may be just what you're looking for.
There are obviously plusses and minuses to owning both a Windows PC or a Mac. However, since you said you wanted to do some graphic editing, most will tell you that graphics/video/multimedia are all still king on the Mac.

Jeff Lehr

Stunt Coordinator
If you start looking at Dell and you'd like to save a bit more money, don't overlook their refurbished systems. Selection can be a bit tight at times, but if you keep checking back, you can sometimes find pretty good systems for less than $500.
I paid less than $450 each (shipping included) for 2 refurbished Dells (1.1Ghz, 20G hard drive, 128M ram), and they've been working great. OS is XP Home, and you still get a year warranty and tech support. No monitor, tho.

JL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks