What's new

I met a cool girl. (1 Viewer)

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
What a cool thread.

It is easy to see the world, re: the 'single' people and the non-single people because it helped me justify why I could never be totally satisfied in a relationship. :)

I have some seriously deluded friends who somehow believe that because I have dated a lot and been with many beautiful women that I somehow have the secret to happiness. That, of course, is rubbish. I've always had a difficult time committing, not that I haven't tried. My secret, and I am not proud of this, by the way, is that I'm a player who has himself fooled that he is not a player. I fool myself before the other person has a chance to get duped. The angel on my shoulder leads me into every dating situation with the express purpose of 'giving my all' emotionally and then Mr. Devil shows up and hands me 100 excuses for why this person isn't good enough for me. Yuch. It's a terribly destructive spiral to get locked into. It's like the dynamics of a manic-depressive personality externalized and transposed onto a real-world relationship, over and over and over again.

So let me create a few categories: The nomads and the homesteaders. The homesteaders have an easier time (and I envy them) finding a match. They are just as picky and have just as much integrity, but they find compatibility with less friction. The nomads, on the other hand, are always looking for something that rests just beyond the horizon line. I have a tendancy to meet someone, get all googly, roll out the red carpet, lavish the person with praise and attention and sex appeal, and then, like a light switch...

I shut it off.

I'm a great justifier, a great excuse-maker, and I can talk my way out of anything intangible, esoteric, instinctual, or emotional (just don't put me in a political argument, I lose those easily). As much as I was irritated by the film 'Vanilla Sky,' (I have not seen 'open your eyes') I related, on a very surface level, to the vanity and the fear of the main character. His looks and charm carry him through life but when faced with his inner self, his commitment, his goals, his ugliness, he blanches. He loses his mind. Damn, that movie really screwed with me in spite of its inanity.

What I'm trying to say here is, I envy those, and many of them are my friends, who have known little of relationships in their life and would like nothing more than to perform acts of selfless love for a significant other. While people like me are off pulling our nomadic secret agent routines, practicing acts of selfish 'pseudo love,' the homesteaders are day in, day out arbitors of selfless, commital love.

Of course then... I could be wrong. :D

cheers,
~j

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
...but I think many singles just need to keep looking instead of accepting that they're "stuck" in that classification....
Nobody said anything about giving up the search.

It's just an observation that I've made which I thought was somewhat humourous.

StephenA

Screenwriter
Well I got an e-mail from her earlier and I replied. I'm gonna call her tomorrow, because she asked me to today when I talked to her on the phone.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
About the age thing, I'll be 40 in April and she's 26, something clicked between us, thats all it is, my advice for getting the girl... confidence, don't stutter, don't be shy, look her in the eyes, be a bit silly, make her laugh, a healthy sense of humor is so important. I hate to be brutal but if you're really overweight or obese you probably won't get the girl of your dreams, but there is a girl out there for every guy and vice versa, confidence is the key, staying home playing computer games isn't.:)

ps. Look at that 90 year old billionaire who managed to bag voluptuous 20-something Anna Nicole Smith, how romantic eh? See age doesn't matter.....;)

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Only in certain states John. You might be surprised to learn the age of consent is only 16 in most states though.

Seth

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Of course, she's my dog, but hey, at least she loves me.
Mark, she doesn't really love you. She just loves the first person who feeds her! :)

Come to think of it, I know a few people in relationships that work along the same lines... :D

I'm 37 and have been single for over five years. But in my case, I just don't bother to look for a mate. Over the years, I've discovered how much fun single life can be at times. I never have to second-guess the person who's with me, there's no spouse acceptance factor conflicts in the home, I can come and go as I want whenever I want, I can wear whatever I want inside the home if I want to wear anything at all...

For me to get back into a relationship would require finding someone who truly shares the same feelings as I do. It would also help if she was at about the same level of intelligence and lifestyle as I am now. I want a partner, not a dependant. I'm not necessarily rich but I do live a reasonably comfortable life. I own my own home and I have pretty much everything I need. Since I don't require a car to get around town, I've never felt the need to buy one (BIG savings there!). As for the S-E-X ;) , been there, done that. I'm beyond the stage where I want to hump anything that's remotely female. Today, I'm the kind of person who enjoys a cuddle from time to time without the need to be put into a high pressure situation.

Actually, my chances of finding a compatible woman at this period of my life is actually much higher than it ever was! Now that we've all outgrown the awkward periods of our lives, we're all more inclined to find someone who can truly satisfy our emotional needs and not simply our physical or material needs. And I'd honestly be happy with that.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
StephenA,

Sweet. Get together with her and be yourself. Have a good time and look for possibly fun things to do together and perhaps there may be some romance. Sex is great, but for me, one of the most important things is the kiss.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I'm single, and enjoying the suprises and excitements that come with it.

The problem is it seems that I only want what I can't have. So if a girl has a boyfriend, I usually tend to like the girl more than if she had none. Or if some girl trys to pick me up I'll tend to try and justify a reason to brush them off (nicely of course). Then again, I'd say that like 90% of the girls that ever came on to me I had little to no interest in. :frowning:

I remember in high school, a girl that I liked made the first move so it was easy, but the relationship didn't last long because once I was with her I lost interest very fast. I guess that's what dating is about because I had to get to know her to really see if I liked her.

Oh, and I'm sure everyone has become "in love" with someone at some point in their life. Like the one girl that kept staying in your mind whether you wanted or not. Call it a crush or being under her spell, I found my only weapon against infatuation is "time". What's funny is when I have my mind set on someone, it doesn't matter how they act or what they do as I'll adjust it to my liking. Then when I'm with them someone like that I'll be scared half to death.

That reminds me of when I was once sitting side by side next this stunning girl as we talked. Then when she leaned against me, we were touching sides and I unconciously started shaking. She felt this and asked me "Why are you shaking?", then I replied: "Am I shaking?" and sure enough when I looked at my legs they were trembling.

:D

Good stuff...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks