What's new

I lose sound while watching blueray movie (1 Viewer)

jimmymac13

Auditioning
Real Name
Jimmy
PLEASE HELP! Does anyone else have this issue? While watching a movie on blueray, everything is going fine until high impact scenes such as: Ironman 2, Mickey Rourke is fighting ironman on the racetrack, or explosions on the streets in Inception. At one point in Inception, the sound disappeared and did not come back until I paused movie then hit play again. Not sure it has anything to do with the scenes but seems to do the same thing in the same spots. Disks are right out of the box. blueray player is up to date. Is it the disks or the player? Player is Samsung bd-p3600, wired with HDMI to an Onkyo tx-sr606, Samsung LCD 640, and Energy Take Classic speakers. Thanks!

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Welcome to Home Theater Forum Jimmy. There is a chance it could be the Onkyo. If they are intense scenes that are driving all (or multiple) channels to their peaks at the same time the receiver could be shutting down the amp section maybe engaging some type of protection mode? Try playing it at a VERY low volume and see if it happens again.

dustinio

Auditioning
Real Name
dustin
Only time I've seen something like that was a customer's marantz receiver going into protect mode from an older cd player during the same spot on a cd where the dynamics start to turn up. Turns out the output signal was too high going from the cd player into the amp. Found the old cd player remote and turned the volume down on that device....problem solved. Don't know if this will help you(analog vs. digital), just what I have come across.

jimmymac13

Auditioning
Real Name
Jimmy
Thanks Adam,

haven't considered that, but it does make sense. I'll give it a try. Happy New Year!

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
I looked up your BR player - and see that it has a "Cinema mode" listed - that is set to normalize the sound output. If the high impact scenes are lower in volume - you could be running into some normalization mode on your player. If the other advise does not seem to work, ensure you are not in any of these specialized modes. I just bought a BR player, and was surprised to find that normalization mode was turned on by default.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.