What's new

Sony DAV-HDX589W (1 Viewer)

IneptLogic

Auditioning
Real Name
D.
Hey guys, new here, first post.

I've come to you all because I'm having an issue and I'm hoping someone here can help me fix it.

The subject/title of this thread is what I purchased earlier today. After putting everything together, running the setup and auto calibration, I ran into some issues.

First off. This thing has no, I mean NONE, Video inputs. That sucked. Then I read in the owners manual that it will take the audio signal from the TV and do it's thing with that.

I'm running a 37" Olevia TV with a PS3, Xbox and HD Cablebox hooked up to it. So I went out and bought a optical audio cable for it. After hooking it up from TV to the HT Brain, I found that I could only hear the menu sound effects for my PS3/Xbox if I was on the TV/Video setting on the HT, obviously, but as soon as I changed my TV's source over to the desired Component or HDMI source for either system, I would lose all sound.

A quick settings change seemed to remedy this problem. I could now hear the menu's on the desired source on my TV. However, whenever I jump into a game, or a BlueRay from either console, I lose all sound once again. Zip, nadda, nothing. The only way to bypass this is to hook the Xbox's AV Stereo sound cables directly up to the HT but what am I to do with my PS3? It's running HDMI into my TV and if I hook up the Optical cable and run it to the HT's TV/Video Digital input spots I still get nothing.

At this point in time. I've got the Xbox connected completely to the TV. The PS3 Connected completely to the TV. Then finally the Optical cable running from the TV's digital optic out to the HT's digital optic in. I can get sound from the HT while watching normal TV but it's plagued by a hideous echo if I turn it up too loud and I've currenly found now way, either in trouble shooting or in the setup manual, to fix this and sync the audio to the video. That sync feature, as I understand it from the manual, is only available to the DVD setting while watching a movie.

Help? This was a birthday present from my mother and I don't want to have to take it back for something else, I'd love to make it work for me.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Well, you now see why we hardly ever recommend "home theater in a box", they don't have enough inputs for external devices.

You have one analog input, one coax digital, one optical digital. You have to hook up the sources directly to the receiver; almost no TVs will relay full surround sound, they might relay stereo sound in some formats but not all as you have found.

Basically the best you can do for now is:
HD cable box -> coax digital
PS3 -> optical digital
Xbox -> analog

Another huge annoyance is on this model (as opposed to other HTiBs), you can't actually select among these using the remote, instead it goes by priority coax/optical/analog, so you have to turn off everything except the device you are actually using.

An alternate strategy would be to get a 3+ way optical switch, then you wouldn't have to turn things off.

The TV's speakers should be disabled/volume turned all the way down so there are no echo issues.

Really the best would be to take it back for something else, figure out what total budget you have after a return, we can make recommendations.

IneptLogic

Auditioning
Real Name
D.
Update:

I was a bit strapped for time when I wrote that origional post.

Since then, since it was actually a visiting parent that insisted I have one, we took it back and returned it before buying another.

This time, being a little smarter about what I needed, I found one with multiple HDMI Inputs as well as an output.

For the moment, I've got the Xbox wired in with it's analog stereo jacks, the PS3 is disconnected as I need to buy another HDMI cable and the HD Box is running into the receiver via an HDMI cable as well.

I can't remember the exact model number of the system as of right now but I can tell you it's a yamaha. The receiver was on sale by itself for a little over $200 and the theater system retailed for $320.

As far as problems. The only issue I'm still currently having is getting sound from the HD Box through the system. I'm assuming, due to the price of the system, that it's only supporting video input from the HDMI cable rather than the entire spectrum. I've tried running the optical cable I have from the Box to the System, turned everything else off, thens till received no luck. I have an Analog/Digital option on the sound input but for some reason it won't read the optical cable.

I'm getting a little long winded on this, I apologise in advance, I'm a bit tired and not thinking straight.

The optical cable I have also seems to be an issue. It was a $30 cable from BestBuy and it doesn't seem to want to actually clip into the Optical cable slots on anything.. It falls out with the barest of brushes and only seems to want to stay connected to the PS3 itself, which I'm not using.

I still need to go buy a coax to run from the TV to the receiver since that was recommended in the owners manual but I'm afraid at this point that the TV either doesn't support or won't send a 5.1 channel signal through the coax.

Any suggestions?

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
- yes you are right about cheap HTIB even w/ HDMI not supporting audio over HDMI. only the more expensive models do. Or separate receiver + speakers.

- don't need to connect TV audio to receiver, since you are using cable box. Only necessary if using TV's internal tuner.

- optical & HDMI cables much cheaper from monoprice.com than from Best Buy, < $4 rather than $30.

- make sure any dust cap etc. removed from cable. If oriented correctly in the slot you should hear it click into place, but certainly in a lot components the fit is kind of loose & falls out easily. Make sure you are using regular Toslink not mini-Toslink on both ends, there is a smaller variety. You should make sure you see red light coming out the other end when plugged into a powered up source. The digital output on the cable box may need to be turned on in some menu somewhere. The HD cable box most likely has a coax digital out also, marked "digital or SPDIF", often orange or black. You might try that instead, any cheap RCA cable will work.

IneptLogic

Auditioning
Real Name
D.
Thanks for the input.

I'm definately going to switch over to a coax cable to see if it will help out with the cable box. I'll also take you up on your word about the optical cable. I sent my mom out to buy it since I'm in a wheelchair and I doubt she knows very much, if anything, about brands or what to look for so that may have been a problem. Not that I know much about optical myself.

Thanks again for the help.

MrRuizLXIX

Auditioning
Real Name
Yotchsy
Hello there!

I saw your question and I wanted to help , maybe you already figured it out but here we go
I am also using the same Home theater , ps3 and Olevia 37 " Tv
so

[COLOR= #ff0000]
(you )
but what am I to do with my PS3? It's running HDMI into my TV and if I hook up the Optical cable and run it to the HT's TV/Video Digital input spots I still get nothing.
[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff]ok.. once you connect your HDMI CABLE from the ps3 to the Tv then connect an opTICAL cable from your Home theater to your PS3 after you you have done that
in the ps3 system
go to setting click on audio setting and then pick optical for Audio
The HDMI CABLE STILL send the best picture out but the Audio goes out from the best that it;s optical.
please note: once you use it like that and you want to play w/o the home theater you must change the setting back on the in ps3 to send Audio thr your Tv

I hope this help. I am not american so I hope my English is clear enough.
any question dont hesitate to contact me

Good luck!

Good luck![/COLOR]

Users who are viewing this thread