What's new

I just got accepted to college! (1 Viewer)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I just got the acceptance letter from the first choice college, the University of Central Florida in Orlando, FL! Anyways... thought I would share that with you guys... plese wish me luck, I am majoring in Computer Science (so far...)
... can't wait for the fall semester 2002! :D

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Congrats Rob. I too started out as a CS major but ended up in Biology (but work in the IT field) :)
Just a little advice, brush up on your math skills. Calculus 1 at most colleges is a weed out course, they try to kill off as many freshmen as possible.
For your intro CS class you will probably be learning C++, you may want to get a good intro level book and start reading it. My first day in CS class the professor stood at the front of the lecture hall (approx 300 students) and said "Everyone take a look around you, AT LEAST half of you will fail this class". Some did fail but most dropped the class after hearing that.
Don't let any of this scare you though. College is a fun experience. Good luck.
Jeff

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Woohoo! Congrats, it's soooo cool to get your first letter of acceptance, and even better if it's your first choice. The thought of being rejected to every college you apply too goes through your head for a long time, at least it was that way for me, even though I was pretty sure to get into many state colleges and good universities. Ya never know. Now you can slack off and party.... hehee, just kidding, but you do have to make sure you graduate HS! :)
Have fun in data structures and algorithms.. ;)
Jay

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Congrats!
I am majoring in Computer Science
Famous last words! ;) Take general courses first until you are absolutely sure that is what you want to major in. If you determine it isn't, then those courses will transfer. If you don't have a scholorship, look into the community colleges for those general classes. Nothing wrong with saving a few thousand dollars (more audio gear ;)).

Robert McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
Congrats! Ah, those good old college days. Enjoy every minute.....UCF is a good school. I remember when it first started as FTU (Florida Technical) waaaayyy back in the day (I grew up in Orlando).

HTF member Chris White is a marketing prof there.

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
Isn't UCF the alma mater of Minnesota Vikings' QB Duante Culpepper? Cheer him on tonight when the ViQueens drop another one to the Giants. I'm predicting Vikings 9, Giants 52. Duante will play superbly, but Randy Moss will drop at least seven long passes and bitch slap Cris Carter on the sideline.

Ouch. It hurts to be a ViQueens fan this year!

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Congrats!

I second the advice given above: make sure you graduate HS; Calc 101 is a weed-out course, so bone up; don't be too hasty to decide your major, there's plenty of interesting stuff out there - but if you want CS, go for it; C++ is a great place to start, especially now; and above all, HAVE FUN!

There ain't no time like college time, believe us!

Mike

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Giants, score 52 points????
Another thing I could mention about CS, don't concentrate TOO much about C++ or whatever language, concentrate on
learning the fundamentals of data structures, OOP,
Windows API, etc.. etc.. After all, languages go in and out of fashion, fundamentals don't.
...and for you CS majors, convert this to base-10:
3a87f77a6947f06ba373bcea982ffcd7
:):):):)
It just happens to be in the outrageously long PHP URL of this thread when I clicked on it. Its a valid hex
number albeit longer than heck!
Jay

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I have Calculus right now and I think I should admit this right now... I actually like calculus (yes, I am a freak :) i am sorry, I just have a little something for those f(x)'es )
I am going to take a basic C++ class at my school next semester to help to 'bone up' on it.
:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks