What's new

I just don't get this DTS (1 Viewer)

Mark.du

Auditioning
When I play a DD 5.1 DVD through my DD/DTS receiver, I get 5.1 sound. But If I put in a DTS-encoded disc, I get no sound. I don't see anything in the DVD player setup menu about enabling it for DTS. Do I need a "DTS" DVD player?

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Some older players were not DTS-capable. If so, then a new DVD player is required. If it doesn't have the DTS logo on the front, it most likely isn't DTS-capable. If it's a newer machine (with the DTS logo on it), there will be an option in the player's setup to output a DTS bitstream. I've found that a lot of the time, players are factory-preset to NOT output a DTS bitstream and you must manually set it to do so.

Mark.du

Auditioning
That's what I thought, and I don't see any way to enable the DTS stream. But why do I need a DTS-decoding receiver if I also need a "DTS-capable" player?

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
Before you purchase a new DVD player...

The setup on some DVD players is not very "intuitive," and in many cases they may use terms that make no mention of "enabling DTS," even though the option is there.

On mine, it was buried toward the back of the manual, and made almost no mention of DTS. In fact, the on-screen menu system does not mention DTS at all, and only by reading the fine print in the manual was I able to finally figure it out correctly -- on the third attempt.

Obviously, you need a DTS capable receiver for it to work.

On my DVD player, there were three different audio settings which had to be set correctly, with confusing combinations of "bitsream" and "bitstream /PCM" and such. If any of the three were incorrect, I got NO SOUND, or I got sound, but with a complete "dropout" every four seconds, or so.

If you post what model receiver and DVD player you have, some of the users here may be able to help you double-check the settings.

-Bruce in Chi-Town

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Mark it does not look good. I just spent some time skipping around for you and I would be very surprised if your DVD supported DTS. If you go to audio-review you will be able to see what past recipients of this unit think. Good excuse to buy new unit maybe? Not that any of us needs a excuse.:emoji_thumbsup: I think I should get a new one soon to.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
How do you have them connected together?

According to its specs, the GE 1105 can pass a DTS signal.

M.

Mark.du

Auditioning
Yikes! You're not kidding! I went to audioreview to check the reviews on my player and it wasn't pretty!

That's all right. Even my wife was talking about upgrading the player the other day. Come to think of it, it does skip and freeze quite a bit. She got it for me for Christmas 2000, mainly because of the price. It'll be nice to have a player with mp3 capabilities, anyway.

BTW, it's hooked up with an optical cable to the receiver.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
BTW, it's hooked up with an optical cable to the receiver.
OK, that leaves several possibilities:

1. There's something wrong with the player (I, too, saw some of the poor reviews).

2. As previously discussed, there's a setting on the player that needs to be switched on. Does the player come with a manual and, if so, does it say anything about DTS?

3. There's a setting on the receiver that needs to be changed. I'm not familiar with the Onkyo, so I'm afraid I can't offer a specific suggestion.

M.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
All DVD players require that you enable DTS passthrough. Go into the player's menu (this is without a DVD inserted) and enable the passthrough. You will also need to select the DTS track on your DVD disc while it's playing (usually on the menu). Your receiver should autodetect DTS if it's in the correct mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks