What's new

I just bought a Toshiba 57H93, but should I get the #1 rated 57HX93? (1 Viewer)

Lanny_B

Second Unit
I just bought the Toshiba 57H93 for $2099 from RCWilley Outlet. The sale was closing in minutes, so I kind of bought it out of pressure, but knew I could return it within 14 days if need be. I also bought it thinking it was the HomeTheaterMag #1 pick, but got home and realized that was the 57HX93. So my main questions are:

1. I love PQ, so should I spend the extra $$ for the 57HX93?
2. Where's some tips on a good quick, non-pro callibration so I can start testing the PQ right away?
3. What's the word on reliability/problems with this set (I did buy the 5 year warrentee, and would also do that if I got the HX93)?
4. Is it really as good as HTM says it is?

Or should I just get something else altogether for under $2700? It's been hard for me to find the solution.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
1. I'd personally suggest the HX for the better tubes. The price difference is small.
2. Pick up a calibration DVD like digital video essentials ($15 or so).
3. Haven't heard too much, perhaps someone else can chime in.
4. It's a great set, though there are others as well.

BTW, if you decide to consider buying elsewhere, I may be able to get you better pricing than that, and your purchase would go to support this forum.

Lanny_B

Second Unit
Well, if I would ever consider it, right now would be the time. I only have about a short window of time to decide if this is a keeper or not.

On of the concerns I've heard about is the reflective glass on the Toshiba. Is the Hitachi better for this?

I know the Sony 550 isn't bad for this, but I'm not really liking the Silver case on that either.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Well, if at all possible, you should see your sets before purchasing. Many people absolutely love the Hitachi sets too. Do you have a place you can view them?

The difference between the 57H93 and the 57HX93 is only about $100 or so. Or should be.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

The bad thing about the HX is the plexiglass and how it just isn't supposed to be removed.

You can fix the glare problem with the H93, but not the HX. The plexiglass serves to hide some things in the image.

Regards

Lanny_B

Second Unit
I ended up cancelling my order for the H93, and got the 57HX83 instead.

As for removing the plexiglass, what would be under that? Is it something that would be ruined if my kids touched it?

And you say I couldn't remove the glass on the HX anyway? What does it serve to hide?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks