What's new

I have no memory left! help!! (1 Viewer)

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
I have windows xp and the other day my os crashed and I had to reinstall my whole windows xp....... i think I got a virus from kazaa.
Anyway, i reinstalled xp. i think i did it completely goofy. (please excuse my newbieness).
My computer is saying its running out of space on the c drive. I analyzed it and heres the report....... maybee someone can make some sense of it.....
Volume SYSTEM_SAV (C:)
Volume size = 2.73 GB
Cluster size = 512 bytes
Used space = 2.45 GB
Free space = 286 MB
Percent free space = 10 %
Volume fragmentation
Total fragmentation = 22 %
File fragmentation = 44 %
Free space fragmentation = 0 %
File fragmentation
Total files = 9,156
Average file size = 327 KB
Total fragmented files = 1,444
Total excess fragments = 9,041
Average fragments per file = 1.98
Pagefile fragmentation
Pagefile size = 288 MB
Total fragments = 2
Folder fragmentation
Total folders = 833
Fragmented folders = 39
Excess folder fragments = 272
Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
Total MFT size = 11 MB
MFT record count = 10,032
Percent MFT in use = 92 %
Total MFT fragments = 4
I dont know if thats any help......... i just have no memory. I have installed only Adobe, Netscape, DAccelerator, nothing with to much memory. This whole drive is hidden, im not using all this memory. How do I get rid of it? Can I? My computer is completely crap and super slow. it used to run quick b4 it crashed.
oh and my f drive is as follows.......
.Volume (F:)
Volume size = 15.91 GB
Cluster size = 4 KB
Used space = 3.06 GB
Free space = 12.85 GB
Percent free space = 80 %
Volume fragmentation
Total fragmentation = 3 %
File fragmentation = 6 %
Free space fragmentation = 0 %
File fragmentation
Total files = 19,310
Average file size = 191 KB
Total fragmented files = 10
Total excess fragments = 15
Average fragments per file = 1.00
any help would be completely appreciated!!! I will be on frequently to answer any questions.
THanks Guys!!!

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
oh I just noticed that I pretty much have all the same info on both drives. (program files, documents, alot of stuff)
Can I just delete all the info on the c drive and use the f drive as my "main one" man this stuff is to confusing.

another thing. my
C Drive is System Sav
and my
F Drive is Local Disk

Kevin P

Screenwriter
SYSTEM_SAV is a small partition used to house system restore data, normally you wouldn't touch that. You need to reinstall XP into your large partition. Also, usually SYSTEM_SAV is a D drive. Did your machine come with a restore CD? You may want to try that.

Also, do you know what virus you got? It might still be lurking out there, in the master boot record or something, depending on the virus. It could also have infected files in the system restore volume, so you should reload everything from CD, after deleting all your partitions (unless we find out what virus you did get, and can determine more specifically).

KJP

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
yeah when my comp crashed the drives got goofy. As for the virus. I dont even know. I just got this blue screen (something about boot volume), then I tried to fix it with CHKDSK and erased all of my operating sytem. It was terrible!
So I reinstalled XP and needed to find a 95 Cd because it couldnt find a previous os.
I had an option to delete a partition but I didnt know how to. It says it could really mess my comp up. So I didnt touch it.
My C Drive has those OS folders like CPQDRV cpqs and Data. Along with all my program files. Can I just delete the program files and keep those others.
Thanks Guys!!!

Kevin P

Screenwriter
You can delete your partitions, as you don't really need SYSTEM_SAV except that part of the BIOS setup is there (at least with the older Compaqs). You should have a system restore CD that came with the computer, that will restore your partitions and OS info to the way they were when you bought the computer. But in a pinch you can wipe the partitions and install XP from scratch, and it'll work.

KJP

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
well I did the recovery and got to a dos command A:> or something like that...... i didnt know how to reply.
So then I started my system up.... It gave me the option (on a black screen) to run one of two WINDOWS XP editions...... SO I chose the 2nd figuring the first was the one that was loading up b4. Im on the 2nd now, and it seems to be working better, its different as in my dvd profiler is on here and its not on the other one(which is where the problems are coming), but am I assumiong I should delete the first xp program... right?
if so how?
thanks Kevin!!!

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I believe you can do it by editing BOOT.INI in the root folder of your boot drive (note-it may be a hidden file). However, if it's finding two instances of XP, you might not have erased the drive before loading XP, meaning the virus could still be lurking in some file or other. It would be a smart move to install an anti-virus program and keep it up to date, especially when downloading files from Kazaa and its ilk. Too many people get viruses that way.

KJP

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
kevin you rock! what happened was I lost everything, Possibly to kazaa im not sure, Reinstalled everything.
Worked Good. Next day Modem broke, something just got weird with it so I got a new one. It still didnt work so stupidly I messed with stuff, and thats when I reinstalled the 2nd XP, figuring I could go and just start new.

Ok thats what happened.
So I have 2 XPs.
Very Low Disk Space.
Current XP is running good so far. Havent really tested the memory.
If I go to the Boot.ini file. i just searched for it even in hidden and there was nothing?
When exploring the recovery cd I seea boot.ini Its an application on the recovery cd I dont know how to open.
Ok so when I do open it what do I do then?? Can I open it?

Ammon

Stunt Coordinator
Here's my best advice. Format and start over. Save whatever you need that is important and format. Nothing nicer than a freshly installed system. You say you needed your 95 CD...did you do an upgrade from 95 to XP? I would recommend never running the upgrades. They never seem to work correctly and your computer always performs faster with a fresh install compared to an upgrade. Some may disagree with me, but if you are moving to a new OS, definately start fresh.

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
my comp came with ME preinstalled. like I said b4 somewhere somehow I lost it and as far as I know it cannot be recovered, not even with recoverycd..........

i bought the XP upgrade for my ME so when I went to reinstall the xp it said it couldnt find a previous OS. It asked for a Windows 95 98 NT or ME Installation disk. A buddy of mine had 95 so I used that.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Look in the root of your C: drive for a boot.ini file. It is probably a hidden, system file. You'll have to remove the hidden, system, and read-only attributes. Then open the file and delete the bad entry, save the file and restore the attributes. If both entries point to the same location (drive and path), you're all set. If not, you'll have to delete the directory for the XP you want to delete (e.g. if you have C:Windows and D:Windows, and delete the entry for D:WIndows, delete the D:Windows folder).

Chad Ellinger

Second Unit
Here's my best advice. Format and start over.
I have to agree with this statement. Here is what you should do:
  1. Back up any essential programs or data. For DVD Profiler, if you can open the program, upload your profile to the InterVocative website (you can download it later on). Make sure you get email, documents and internet favorites/bookmarks.
  2. Reboot from the Windows XP CD. Select the option to install Windows (NOT repair existing installations).
  3. When you get a list of your current drive partitions, delete them. This will wipe out EVERYTHING on your hard drive. You should have one listing for unformatted space. Choose to install here. Setup will format the partition and begin installing.
  4. Go through the XP installation.
  5. Install any device drivers for your peripherals.
  6. Install any updates from Windows Update.
  7. Install your software.
  8. Restore your data.[/list=1]
    Your current hard drive fragmentation is 22%, which is severe and could result in loss of data. You can try defragmenting your hard drive to see if that restores some performance. If you can back up your data, I cannot recommend reformatting and reinstalling enough.

Ammon

Stunt Coordinator
One other thing as a side note. If you purchased an upgrade version, you will need to purchase a full version of XP. The upgrade version will not allow you to start from scratch.

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
ok for anyone keeping up on this I tried to reformat..... and I did excactly like chad said.....
I went and saw that I could delete two partions... C and F, well I succesfully deleted C which was system sav, and was unable to delete the f drive. It said it was being in use.
So i come back to my xp os and I see that my c drive is gone and now i only have my f drive. my computer is running fine........ at least it seems that way. I do still see the 2 xp versions on the beginning boot screen.......
I am borrowing my friends Win95 installation for a couple days. My XP upgrade says thats all I need. But
HOW DO I DELETE THE F DRIVE???? IT WONT LET ME !!!!:emoji_thumbsup:

Chad Ellinger

Second Unit
One other thing as a side note. If you purchased an upgrade version, you will need to purchase a full version of XP. The upgrade version will not allow you to start from scratch.
This is not true. If you have the upgrade version, you will be prompted to insert an older version of the operating system to verify that you have a valid upgrade copy. But you can install from scratch.
http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us;316941#3

Chad Ellinger

Second Unit
Dave, when you tried to reformat, did you boot from the actual CD or did you go into setup from Windows? You may need to enter your CMOS setup (press the DEL key when system first boots up). From there, look for a BOOT menu, and make sure your CD-ROM drive is listed before your hard drive. It may look like:

1. Floppy drive
2. Hard drive
3. CD-ROM

Change this to:

1. Floppy drive
2. CD-ROM
3. Hard drive

Reboot with the XP CD in the CD-ROM drive and you should be good to go. You should see a message such as "Press any key to boot from CD ..." Press a key and let XP setup run. When the XP setup first reboots your system, go back into the CMOS setup and move the CD-ROM back down in the boot order (#3) so that you will boot from the hard drive. Leave the CD in your CD-ROM drive and continue the setup.

Chad Ellinger

Second Unit
Incidentally, I believe that what happened to your computer is this. Your (Compaq?) has a special partition for storing restore data (as Kevin P pointed out). When you reinstalled XP, you installed it on this small partition instead of your normal 16 GB partition. So you essentially have two installations of XP running, one on your 3 GB partition and the other (original) on the 16 GB partition.

Your "out of memory" errors are coming from the XP installation on the smaller partition. XP uses a special file on your hard drive called a page file to extend the available memory your system has. The 286 MB of free space on that small partition is pretty cramped for XP, which explains why it is throwing errors.

Anyway, good luck and I hope your reformat project works out well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks