What's new

I hate when I see DVD's being redone... (1 Viewer)

Claude Brault

Auditioning
There are soo many movies that are not on DVD. I wish studios would concentrate on releasing these before re-doing already released titles.:angry:

Cliff B

Agent
Hey, I hear ya. Especially, when they've already done a great job on the previously released versions. It seems that a lot of times when they re-release a movie, they don't really add very much at all. In most cases, not enough to make me repurchase them again.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
There's nothing wrong with re-doing a DVD title, except that some of these titles are being redone for the 3rd (an in some cases, 4th) time. Yes, I have a slight problem with that too.

StephenA

Screenwriter
I don't mind when it's to make a title an SE or to improve it some other way, but when they release all these different types of SEs it gets confusing on which to get. I think they should redo a disc only if they didn't do it right the first time or to fix glitches, and concentrate on releasing other stuff that hasn't been released already.

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
There's a LOT of old movies I wish would come out on DVD. I watch a lot of TCM and 80-90% of what they show isn't available. I wish there was a place we could petition for the DVD release.

-Mike...

Kelly V

Stunt Coordinator
Ditto, here! What's even worse is when you go looking for a title and they've pulled it pending the release of the "New" edition.
I understand that it's a marketing ploy, but it's still Dirty Pool!:angry:

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I'm just dying for bare-bones anamorphic versions of Soylent Green, Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, The Driver, Eyes Without A Face and goodness knows what else, and they're busy putting out Men in Black: Deluxe Edition and Patch Adams: Ultimate Edition!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
There's plenty of films needing DVD release before special editions of existing films.

Universal has done 6 versions of American Pie, 3 of The Mummy, yet hasn't released a single Walter Lantz/Woody Woodpecker DVD.

When all the studios start to release silent, cartoon, and classic library onto DVD, then they should do SE's.

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
Some DVDs need a new edition. the ones that come to mind:

Goodfellas
top gun
titanic

A lot of these other re-do's are just overkill. if they re-do one to add anamorphic or dts I all for that.

If they take a P&S only DVD and release a OAR edition later I don't consider that a re-release because the P&S would not be considered a release in the first place.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Universal has done 6 versions of American Pie, 3 of The Mummy, yet hasn't released a single Walter Lantz/Woody Woodpecker DVD.
You gotta remember that the studios are not film-lovers... they are a business. I guarentee for every 100 shmucks that buy the newest rerelease 'The Mummy', probably half have more than 10 DVDs (made up of classics such as 'Dude Where's My Car' and 'Druids' ;) ) and 1% of that half have an inclination to buy something that has some sort of 'substance'. Face it... the studios are giving the MAINSTREAM PUBLIC, who now own the major majority of DVD players (which they see as 'souped up VCRS', which are connected via coax on Channel 3 or 4 respectively on their 13" TV)... WHAT THEY WANT! And if they want crap, YOU ARE GONNA SEE IT over and over again because they will see it (with new pan and scan version) in the supermarket aisle and add it to their cart right next to their eggs and cheese. The studios see that they can resell the same product with little or no effort (add a trailer for the new sequel... add an EPK that is already on hand). It is all about economics from now on... not film
:rolleyes

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Hi,

what disturbes me is the recent trend of studios releasing a huge wave of titles primarily as movie only editions (Buena Vista being the most notable one).

While on the one hand I'm really glad that I finally can get my hands on titles I wanted on DVD for some time now, on the other hand I can't help but wonder if this mass of releases is just the start of the next "rerelease phase" and we'll see many of these titles as special edition in the next 2 or 3 years.

Chris

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
My only pet peeve is the so-called "new special edition" whose new supplement features serve only to promote the film's upcoming theatrical sequel. Columbia and Universal have both been guilty of this transgression.

-Lyle J.P.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
There are soo many movies that are not on DVD. I wish studios would concentrate on releasing these before re-doing already released titles.
You assume there's a correlation and that the creation of the 95th version of American Pie keeps something else from being released. It's a mistake to assume such things...

nousername

Supporting Actor
Universal has done 6 versions of American Pie, 3 of The Mummy...
...and yet great movies such as Vertigo, Raging Bull, Psycho and Planet of the Apes exist only in non-anamorphic format. Shame on the studios for neglecting such great films in favor of making a quick buck.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
To redo and upgrade it to Anamorphic, or to release an Anamorphic OAR from one that is currently only P&S are the main reasons they should do it.

All of the original Planet of the Apes
Crimson Tide
Hunt for Red October
Armageddon
Deep Impact

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks