What's new

I Got a Job (1 Viewer)

FredHD

Stunt Coordinator
After being laid off at the beginning of September, I have been on the job hunt. I have been working as a temp for the last month but I finally got hired. Granted it's a $4200/yr pay cut, but with the way things are right now I feel lucky. It's better than what I get paid temping and it has GOOD benefits. Just wanted to share the news with someone other than my fiance and family. I know a lot of folks on the board are laid off right now, but don't give up. Keep plugging. Two of the 3 places I temped at wanted to keep me, including they place that hired me. Obviously I recommend temping and be really nice and helpful. Good luck.
------------------
Have good mosh-pitting!!

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
Excellent news. I would love to be able to get a job at only 4200 a year pay cut. :) I hope you enjoy it.
Kevin C.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Congratulations, Jackson!
patriot.gif

I was laid off back in August and I considered temping, but I didn't. I just keep thinking of the movie Clockwatchers. I guess doing temporary assignments can have an upside too.
------------------
As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace
AIM: Aureus91 / DVDs / ICQ: 58566493

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Congrats Jackson on the job!
Yes, temping is good for a few reasons.
1. you can feel out the place.
2. you really do not work for the company itself but rather for the agency that sent you, so I always look at it as more freedom.
3. if you like the place and you bust your chops as a temp the chances are good you're going to get hired.
A friend of mine has been at a company as a temp for 7-8 months now. He busts his balls and he still has a job, while his co-workers which were full time were laid off.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Congrats on the new job Jackson! It's great to hear of someone acquiring, rather than losing, a job. I really hope you enjoy it. The small paycut you're taking may not really be so bad - if you like your job and do well, you could make that up quickly.
All the best!
------------------
Scott

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
---A friend of mine has been at a company as a temp for 7-8 months now. He busts his balls and he still has a job, while his co-workers which were full time were laid off.----
Something tells me busting his balls has nothing to do with it. Most likely he was working "cheaper" than his co-workers, therefore they were laid off. If management can ever get anyone to work "cheaper" than he does....he's gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks