What's new

I fear for Happy Days (1 Viewer)

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
I don't know the title of the episode but it's where there is a dance contest and Joanie is jealous of this one cheerleader and she wants to be on the football cheerleading team. There is a bet between her and the girl that if Joanie wins she'll win a position on the team, but if Joanie loses Fonzie has to get a crew cut.

I don't think that was a Russain dance, was it?

I think the title of the song Fonzie dances to is called... The Kowasaki. Or the Chicowski. It sounds like that!

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory

Oh, I can't believe I put the wrong one there, I was distracted by a bowl of hot boiled crabs and rushed, sorry.

Also I think the dance was from They Shoot Fonzies, Don't They? from Season 4

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor

I'm willing to guess that Happy Days will do better than MTM (though I agree MTM is a better show). There seem to be more people who grew up watching it, and the reruns are on a bit more frequently in recent years. Also the first season is priced lower than MTM's was (though that's because of the unfortunate lack of extras). The quality of a show doesn't necessarily co-relate to how well remembered it is. Look at Gilligan's Island; it was never considered a great show at any time, but everyone remembers it and it has sold very well on DVD.

The first couple of seasons of Happy Days actually hold up extremely well, because -- since they were trying to ape the style of the '50s -- there's none of the now-dated fashions of '70s shows; the look of the clothes and cars have a "classic" quality to it. After it switched to a studio audience, it had a more '70s, dated look.

Supporting Actor
I've been reading the reviews of both Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley. I'm getting excited.

JasonPW

Stunt Coordinator
The first two seasons of "Happy Days" are of higher quality. More nostalgic, better storytelling, more intimate style, blah, blah, blah.

But you know what? I grew up on studio audience, cheerin' for Fonzie, "I still got it", Chachified, "pu-pu-pump your blood" "Happy Days." That's the show I remember and that's the show I'm really looking forward to. I like it BECAUSE it's a cheezy-ass, goofy Garry Marshall sitcom. Who's with me?

Doc

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
The studio audience got on my nerves. I hated how even Tom Bosley got an ovation for just walking in the room.

Supporting Actor
JasonPW. I'm with you. Oh, come on. You watch any sitcom today and if someone enters a room. There's an applaud.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'd actually decided to pass on this since my memories are more of the later seasons. But thinking back to the earliest seasons, you guys have reminded me that this really did start out as a pretty good show (hell it even had a great theme song at one point). There's nothing wrong with those who like the show it eventually became, they just have different taste than me.

Mark Lx

Second Unit
"JasonPW. I'm with you. Oh, come on. You watch any sitcom today and if someone enters a room. There's an applaud."

But that's a bad thing. It started a dumb trend. Especially when you consider that the studio audience is usually not seeing the actor for the first time. It might even be a 2nd take. They dub in the loudest cheer. It's all fake and has absolutelty nothing to do with acting or writing.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
OK, serious question this time:

What episode(s) featured the one and only SUZI QUATRO? I believe the role was "Leather" Tuscadero, Pinky's sister or cousin?? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I guess I don't get your message. Your correct that the show lost it's way (Although alot of people liked it's new focus) when the show departed from focusing on the cunninghams to mostly about the cunninghams interactions with Fonzie. What I don't get is why releasing the first 2 seasons would be a problem , these are all I would buy. So releasing them first is ok with me.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Carlos you nailed it, it was already hard to suspend disbelief at what they were throwing out into the audience and the Live audience whooping it up was even more distracting

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
I guess I'm in the minority in preferring the later "Fonzie Show" seasons (up until Richie left and was replaced by Ted McGinley). I always felt the first season was trying too hard to emulate the feel of American Graffiti, and in my opinion, it failed. I don't think the show found its own voice until the move to the multi-camera, live audience format.

Still, I probably won't buy even the seasons I like, since I've seen so many of the episodes on Nick at Nite and TV Land over the years. Not a lot of rewatchability there for me.

Supporting Actor
I can't wait for all 11 seasons to be released. Are there any collectors here that can't stand owning only a few seasons. they have to have all of them? I'm disappointed at how many fans of Happy Days don't want every single season.

R. Kay

Second Unit
Fonzie was awesome ...

Winkler never got the credit he deserved. His real-life persona and his Fonzie character were so drastically different. When I was a kid, I remember being flabergasted watching Winkler being interviewed.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

It all depends on the show. Most of the time I'd love to have every episode (ODD COUPLE, where are you!!?? :) ) but I'm afraid that HAPPY DAYS is one rare exception where I'd only want the first couple of seasons with the "American Graffiti" style.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks