What's new

Directors I don't bother with reviews. I can make up my own mind (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
This mornings USA TODAY Poll, in the LIFE section, deals with movie reviews. Once again, I find myself out of sinc with the masses.
How was I to know whether to see Finding Nemo or Good Boy last year, if not for the comments of the film reviewers?

51.41%
I don't bother with reviews. I can make up my own mind
17.14%
I'll see a film from a particular actor or genre no matter what the reviews say
14.61%
If I'm torn over which film to see, a review might break a tie
10.53%
I pay attention to particular critics whose tastes mirror my own
6.31%
They're very influential

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well I pay relatively little attention to reviews of new films. Basically if a film stays in the top 10 for 4 or more weeks, and it sounds like something I'd like, I usually rent it. Sometimes I've found films I love, even though they were critically blasted.

Of course, this misses critically acclaimed films that might not have an audience, but I do pay attention to critics in the long run, for example, watching the films on the S&S list or AFI 100, so eventually I'll see those films too.

So, I do pay some attention to what other people think, both critics and the general public, but in the end, I'll make up my own mind - e.g., I don't like Titanic no matter how critically acclaimed or popular it is. :)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I definitely check out as many critics as I can before I decide what film to go see. I'm not a mainstream movie-goer so I depend on the critics a lot more than others as I'd rather go see an independent or foreign film than most of what Hollywood puts out.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I usually find out that if the major critics hate it that I'll like it, and yes I'm an action-adventure fan.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I've found that I agree with 99% of Roger Ebert's reviews. So, he's really the main critic I read. Also, he's really honest, which helps. Some critics have agendas to take care of before giving an honest review. You know who you are. :)

However, if you like a movie, don't follow criticisms! A lot of critics hated Kung Pow: Enter the Fist, yet I loved it (for the overly silly film that it is). (FYI, I'm probably one of 10 people with both Kung Pow and The Passion of Joan of Arc in their DVD collection. :D)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks