Directors I don't bother with reviews. I can make up my own mind

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Henry Gale, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

This mornings USA TODAY Poll, in the LIFE section, deals with movie reviews. Once again, I find myself out of sinc with the masses.
    How was I to know whether to see Finding Nemo or Good Boy last year, if not for the comments of the film reviewers?

51.41%
    I don't bother with reviews. I can make up my own mind
    17.14%
    I'll see a film from a particular actor or genre no matter what the reviews say
    14.61%
    If I'm torn over which film to see, a review might break a tie
    10.53%
    I pay attention to particular critics whose tastes mirror my own
    6.31%
    They're very influential

2. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Well I pay relatively little attention to reviews of new films. Basically if a film stays in the top 10 for 4 or more weeks, and it sounds like something I'd like, I usually rent it. Sometimes I've found films I love, even though they were critically blasted.

Of course, this misses critically acclaimed films that might not have an audience, but I do pay attention to critics in the long run, for example, watching the films on the S&S list or AFI 100, so eventually I'll see those films too.

So, I do pay some attention to what other people think, both critics and the general public, but in the end, I'll make up my own mind - e.g., I don't like Titanic no matter how critically acclaimed or popular it is. [​IMG]

3. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I definitely check out as many critics as I can before I decide what film to go see. I'm not a mainstream movie-goer so I depend on the critics a lot more than others as I'd rather go see an independent or foreign film than most of what Hollywood puts out.

4. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I usually find out that if the major critics hate it that I'll like it, and yes I'm an action-adventure fan.

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I've found that I agree with 99% of Roger Ebert's reviews. So, he's really the main critic I read. Also, he's really honest, which helps. Some critics have agendas to take care of before giving an honest review. You know who you are. [​IMG]

However, if you like a movie, don't follow criticisms! A lot of critics hated Kung Pow: Enter the Fist, yet I loved it (for the overly silly film that it is). (FYI, I'm probably one of 10 people with both Kung Pow and The Passion of Joan of Arc in their DVD collection. [​IMG])